My Fickle, Fickle Feelings


So it's finally here, that day I've been counting down to. This morning, when I came out of my bedroom to make breakfast I found three of my children already up and dressed for school. That's how excited they were. The smile on my face let them know that I was excited, too.

Later the nerves would set in as we pulled up in front of the school. Paige promptly told me that she had dinosaurs in her stomach. Aiden clung to my side like glue. But Brighton, well he was okay.

They lined up with their teachers, nervously waving shy hellos to their friends and secret goodbyes to me. Aiden cried, and cried. And at first I wanted to dump him into the first grade cold turkey--wave goodbye and walk away. But I couldn't. I waited with him, kissing his cheek and offering him treats if he made it through the day, knowing full well he would.

Then it was time for the flag ceremony and the singing of the school song. Every year I dread the singing of the school song. Every year it makes me cry and I knew this year would be no different.

Majestic birds so full of pride ascend o'er Eagle Bay
With fearless trust we'll swiftly glide, we know we'll find our way.
Within our nest we will do our best and learn to take to flight
On freedom's wing we will soar and sing of the eagle's strength and might.
We'll fly with eagle's wings, we'll soar across the sky
With the glory that it brings we'll keep on flying high.

So when the rain started falling and the principle announced that they'd skip singing the school song and hurry into class I was relieved; I really didn't want to cry.

But then, as I drove away, my children safely tucked into their new classrooms, I realized this would be the last year I'd get to hear them sing that song; next year we're on to a new school. And then I was sad. Sad I didn't get to cry over the singing of the song. And suddenly sad my kids were gone. In school all day. Without me.

I miss them already.

I know, I know. I've been bragging about this day practically all summer. I've been counting down the minutes. But I'm entitled to my fickle feelings--happy, ecstatic, and overjoyed one minute, lonely and sad the next.

And now a new countdown begins. Two more hours until they're home. Nine months until school's out.

Comments

Susan Anderson said…
Loved your fuzzy and fickle post. My official position is that ambivalence is the natural condition of motherhood.

Seriously.

=)
Anonymous said…
I am then same way, I am counting down to Wendesday, but as always once I get home I will be morose and weepy. I always write each of them a letter which I keep tucked away and then I am planning on giving the bunch to them when they graduate.

Once they get home I will get over my saddness very quick!

I always love your posts!
Trent said…
They looks so big!!! Time flys by.
I really understand how you feel because we all love school over here. Yet as I walked into Smiths without any child or babysitter worries---I did feel ALONE! I always get tears in my eyes no matter how ready we all are. I guess that means one thing..we are MOMS!

Rachel
Lisa Anne said…
Aren't first days of school from summer just so exciting? My son started the 4th grade last week. He was in a 4th/5th split class this year. He's also getting his first letter grades. He received his first 2 A's during the first week of school. So proud
Snarky Belle said…
Ohhhhh, I so get it!!!!

Love and hugs to you! :)
Kristina P. said…
Yes you are entitled to fickly feelings! Although, I'm sure you will be happy by the end of the week. :)
Emmy said…
The grass always seems to be greener on the other side... but my guess, give it a week and you will be doing your happy dance again :)
Kami said…
My kids start school on Monday. *tear* I don't know if I'm ready!
Candy McCall said…
Fickle can be my friend too.
Love your post today.
Candy McCall said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wendyburd1 said…
Aw how bittersweet!! They looked cool in their school clothes though, so coolness factor? Check!
JennyMac said…
dinosaurs in her stomach? It made me smile..and want to send her a hug.
Adorable kids and I love their names.
Erin said…
I love the idea of dinosaurs in her stomach. How is Keelie doing with the other three gone all day? Is she loving Mommy attention? Or is she lonely?
Em said…
LOVED the first day of school. even as a teacher. same jitters.
*smiling* The joys of being a mother! We can't wait for those quiet moments..only to wish they were full of our childrens voices again!