A Passion for Brownies

Those who know me know that I have a passion for four things: faith, family, fiction, and fitness. Along with that, I would add that I have a passion for sweets--crisp cookies, and rich brownies specifically. But being a fitness enthusiast, the cookies and brownies have to have some nutritionally redeeming qualities. Today I am obsessed with this brownie recipe inspired by Jillian Michaels' The Master Your Metabolism Cookbook, and tweaked for ultimate goodness by yours truly:

Fudge Brownies

1/2 to 2/3 cup honey (I don't really care for the taste of honey, so I use only the half cup)
1/3 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
1/2 cup white whole-wheat flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup lite coconut milk
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup dark chocolate or semisweet chips (optional)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Combine and mix well. Pour into a greased 8X8 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

Enjoy rich, chocolaty, guilt-free brownies!

Comments

ailinh said…
I, too, am a fan of rich brownies. And Jillian Michaels. I will definitely have to keep this recipe in mind! Thanks!
Megan Smith said…
I just got that Jillian Michaels book from the library here. This makes me excited to read it! Your recipe looks great!