Why You Should Always Apologize for a Smelly Diaper

Aaron and I had the privilege this week of attending Keelie's IEP (individual education plan) meeting with her preschool teacher and speech therapist. During the meeting we laughed at some of the funny things Keelie did during the year, marveled at the progress she's made (meeting 100% of her speech and language goals), and discussed a whole new set of goals for the next school year.

That's when her preschool teacher, Mrs. Bowe, informed us that Keelie has been invited to attend a very special school program for next year. The Assert program for autism, developed by professor Thomas Higbee, provides educational and behavioral interventions for children with autism. Because the learning model is so intense, requiring one-on-one teaching for six hours of the day, five days a week, very few children are taken into the program. A similar program run through a private school would cost us over $25,000 a year--just for preschool, grade school is much more. Keelie will be attending the Assert program through the public school system. Aaron and I feel very blessed to be given this wonderful opportunity to help Keelie's growth and development.

When asked why Keelie was selected out of all of the kids in the preschool class, Mrs. Bowe listed Keelie's progress and ability to follow routine. She also said, "You were always so nice to us. You apologized if Keelie had a smelly diaper. No one else ever did that!"

The moral of the story: it certainly pays to apologize if your child has a smelly diaper.

Comments

steve and lisa said…
WOW! That is such great news for your family! What a wonderful opportunity! Congrats!
Erin said…
Having manners IS a bonus!

I am so happy for you guys. This is a great opportunity. I look forward to hearing more about Keelie's progress.
Kristina P. said…
This is an amazing accomplishment, Fiauna.
Emmy said…
So awesome!!! I am so happy for you.
And I will make sure I always apologize for any sticky diapers from here on out :)
Trent said…
That is so exciting!!! She has come such a long way. I am really amazed each time I see her. What a great thing for her and for you!! She will be learning and growing and you will have some Fiauna time. Or atleast some time to get housework done too without keeping her occupied. You deserve it and so does she. Very neat.

Rachel
Susan Anderson said…
That is a MAJOR blessing! (And it sounds like you even brought a little of it on yourself.)

Funny. I actually feel proud of you...for apologizing for a smelly diaper! Sheesh.

But hey...Being polite does make a difference. Obviously, it does!

And you helped win this wonderful opportunity for your daughter. (My adolescent niece is autistic, and I know how valuable such a program will be...)

Ya done good, Fiauna.

=)
Em said…
i LOVE it! how exciting!!! i loved seeing my student's progress in IEPs. i was their number one cheerleader;-) go keelie! and go mom for being so loving to all involved;-) christmas in june right?!
Stephanie said…
Two things:

1. I saw your comment over at Erin's and wondered if it was me? I know you used to be a visitor, and I know I've looked at your blog on occasions, but I can't remember if I've commented or not. I'm sorry if it was.

2. The diaper apology thing is awesome. I've noticed that the general public is not annoyed by obnoxious children really, just by obnoxious children with unapologetic parents. When we apologize, they understand and extend mercy.
LaurieJ said…
Ditto to all of the congratulations!
I have heard tht program is amazing and it sounds like your family really deserves it :-)
Emmy said…
CHECK my blog, you've got an award!
Snarky Belle said…
Hooray! Congratulations on the tremendous progress, and the new school opportunity!!

GO KEELIE!!! And a huge way to go for Keelie's family too! :)
Kathy P said…
That is wonderful!!! The Lord is looking out for his little girl!

Such a simple thing... just common courtesy.
Anonymous said…
THAT IS WONDERFUL!
AND
YES.... PEOPLE MUST REMEMBER TO APOLOGIZE FOR POOPY DIAPERS STINKING UP THE EARTH'S ATMOSPHERE :) LOL
3 Bay B Chicks said…
WOW! Congratulations to you and your family, Fiauna. Sounds like an amazing opportunity for Keelie.

Lesson learned on my part. I go forward as a nicer parent. :)

-Francesca
Whitney said…
Congratulations on the offer to work with the Assert program and for the fact that Keelie met her yearly goals. That's absolutely wonderful! Good things happen to good people... And, since you cover for those smelly diapers, you're obviously great people! :)
Just SO said…
That is wonderfully amazing news!! I'm so excited for you!!

Woo Hoo!!
Kate said…
What a great opportunity for her. It should be great.
kel said…
That is awesome! Kindness always pays off!
Wendyburd1 said…
Hey I have some awards for you on my blog!!
Wow! Proof that good manners can get you far!
Cynthia said…
Wow! I guess it DOES pay!

I'm so excited for the whole family to have this opportunity. To be in an environment where they have so much expertise in helping her reach her potential is a wonderful thing.

My friend has a high-functioning Autistic son. Prior to knowing her, I had no idea how expensive it is to have a child with any kind of special need. I'm glad your child and family have access to such a needed opportunity!
Sapphire said…
That is awesome news!!! And you're right, you should always apologize for a smelly diaper and use all of your manners, they come in handy!