For me the birth of my first child was tantamount to graduating from college and receiving my first job offer. I had, since childhood, wanted to be a "mom". Though I dabbled with the idea of becoming a pediatrician or a scientist, being a "mom" was what I really strived to become. So the day my paying job ended and my real career began was a huge victory for me--my big goal met.
Though this is what I had always wanted, taking that new baby home from the hospital filled me with nerves and worries, and also joy and satisfaction. I had to "set up office" in my home and begin an new life with it's own set of policies and procedures as well as an entirely new schedule. My work wasn't eight-to-five and there wasn't a lunch break, but I enjoyed the work and my coworkers.
The arrival of two more children down the line was like getting a pay raise. My performance had been measured and "The Boss", (I say my Heavenly Father) saw fit to increase my wage as well as my work load. I took on more responsibility and received more profit in return.
My big promotion came with the birth of a child with special needs. The hours are longer, the work load is stressful, but the pay is amazing. Everyday I am granted the blessing of raising sweet angels in my home. To watch my "well" children interact with their "unwell" sister is like seeing the view from the corner office. I view parenting from a new perspective now; I am changed and matured.
Should the day come when I "retire" from this calling I pray it would be a celebratory moment. For that would be the day on the other side of the veil when my family is gathered together in perfect form to commune with our Great Employer, our Heavenly Father. I hope my friends and colleagues will have good things to say about my performance. I pray my children will say that I did an exceptional job. I hope "The Boss" will shake my hand and proclaim me one the best He's ever worked with.

Comments

Candy McCall said…
Hey there! Keep writing. You are such a wonderful mother. You truly are blessed with the 4 of your beautiful children. The special bonus of having Keely is unmeaurable in both blessing and responsiblity. You will definately be magnified through out your and her lifes.