The lesson I've been struggling to learn throughout my adult life is that my life is not my own. True I may set my own goals, and I may have my own ambitions and aspirations; but these are not the purpose of my life. My life belongs to my Heavenly Father. The mantra I have adopted lately comes from the hymn I'll Go Where You Want Me To Go--that is just it. I repeat the phrase "I'll go where you want me to go, Dear Lord," in my head whenever the path I want to choose is intersected by the path that I must take. Sometimes the road is beautiful, shaded by ancient trees and bordered by wildflowers, and takes us where we want to go. Other times the road is hard and long, dry and hot with rocks and roots to trip us on our way, and takes where we need to go--which in the end, is where we wanted to go all along. 

Comments

Megan Smith said…
I LOVE that--it's so true. I never would have thought I'de homeschool and yet ONLY because of a forceful prompting I did so. There have been many "dry & hot" times but the strength has been given to me when I thought I had none left to give. 2 1/2 yrs later I can see the reasons why *for this kid* it was so important.

While we lived in Spokane (2002-2004) Steve's parents were living away in HI and we took care of their house (thank goodness--Steve was out of work) and also helped out with Steve's special needs sister Sammie. She has a chromosomal abnormality as well as is quadraplegic. She's 25 but cannot talk and is about an 18 month mentality level. She lives in an assisted living home but had a lot of varied needs, doctor's visits, therapy, etc. From my personal experience w/ her I have such a testimony of the angels that watch over those who are placed in special needs bodies. On one such time I had been driving her back to her home after going to therapy when the Spirit told me to take her to the doctor. He was a family friend and was happy to fit her in. From that visit we found out that her ankle had been broken--a spiral fracture. (Likely because someone who transfered her from her chair had been in a hurry and had twisted it while standing her up). There were many experiences that taught me that Sammie was being taken care of by a higher source.

My encouragement to you is to offer the same, that Keelie too will be taken care of. That no matter the difficulty, the help will be there when you need it most and strength will be given to you when you have none left to give.

Thanks for writing this. I've enjoyed reading your posts. Please keep it up!
Candy McCall said…
Love it! I've been waiting for you to continue sharing your beautiful thoughts. There is no doubt that along your path of life, The Lord will present many wonderful people with whom He will want YOU to touch with your life and YOUR story. The gift in this for you will be as you give of yourself and your knowledge, those you touch just may have something to give you too.