Finding a Pot O' Gold

Like many Americans, I have European roots. Not Irish, though. Growing up, St. Patrick's Day came and went with only the wearing o' the green. That's it. No tricks. No treats. Just a green shirt, or hair ribbon, or maybe a green pair of socks under our pants if we were feeling sneaky. So tell me, when did it became a tradition for the leprechaun to bring gifts on St. Patty's Day? News flash, kids these days expect treats for every holiday, not just the obligatory gifts on Christmas and treat bags on Halloween. They want their very own party on New Year's Eve, with party favors; Valentine gifts on Feb. 14th; a basket full of wonderful, sweet, sugary goodness for Easter. When I was a kid, I didn't get any of this. (Well, okay, I got the Easter basket filled with sweet, sugary goodness. I guess that one's obligatory, too.) What's next? A guinea pig on Ground Hog's Day? What surprises are they going to expect on Flag Day? Just last night, as I was tucking Paige into bed I found this little note on her bed-side table:

What? My photo skills make it difficult to read? That's okay, I'll tell you what it says.

Dear Leprechaun,

Will you please leave something for me and my family? How about six stuffed animals. One for Keelie, one for Aiden, one for me, one for Brighton, and one for Mom. One more for Dad!

Your friend,
Paige

Oops. I guess "the leprechaun" should have received this polite little note a day earlier. So what did the leprechaun do? The leprechaun ran to the store this morning and picked out a new book for each of the children (our house is running rampant with stuffed animals, so books will have to do) and something for herself (he he). Dad will just have to find his pot o' gold later. ; )

Comments

Kristina P. said…
The Leprechaun is probably a lot nicer than I would be. :)
Paige is so cute! I love her little notes and drawings. :)
The Rambler said…
Love the drawing!!

And thanks for the heads up. I'll be ready just in case :)
Flashlight Girl said…
PUSHOVER! Seriously, green shirt and a scoop of lime sherbet at the end of the day are plenty. :) (If the kiddos are lucky, I'll let them pinch me once just for fun.)
Christy said…
Thank you! I was starting to feel like I was negligent or something for only doing green shirts when everyone else in the neighborhood cooked green meals, set out gifts, etc. You're a woman after my own heart.
Em said…
how fabulous is that, brennan seemed very satisfied with his green jello, maybe i should give him a box of that next year;-)
Jay Allen said…
Mckenna was expecting the Leprechan to come to our house after it clandestinely deposited treats in her classroom. I told her that I had never heard of such a thing. Well, needless-to-say that (he-she-it???) never came to our house. I hope she isn't permanently scarred lol.
Kate said…
I don't know when the leprechaun started bringing stuff. It sure didn't happen when I was growing up. I think the kids are just expecting so much lately or the teachers prompt it and so they want it.
Kathy P said…
My kids 1st cousins have "kids day" on top of all that. Kids day is just like christmas... My kids think we are the meanest parents in the world because we don't have Kids Day. As for the other holidays, I tell them that's what grandparents are for.
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA That is just too funny. We've never had gifts for St. Pat's Day unless you want to count those yummy cupcakes I bought on sale TWICE this week. I love her note-- yes, a little more notice would have been nice, especially for SIX stuffed animals:)

By the way, I stopped by to welcome you to SITS!
Anonymous said…
I absolutely love the picture and the note.

My daughter was the same way, she kept on asking, "what do you think the lepreekan(yes that is how she says and spells it) will bring us, a pot of gold?" I told her never had he brought me anything other than maybe a pinch or a coloring sheet in school, I am such a meanie!

St. Pattys day was not a good day in our house this year, so all we got were sugar cookies, that the leprechaun dyed green.

Pretty soon they will be having Presidents Days parties and columbus day parties!!!!