The Indomitable Strength of the Human Spirit.

She moves confidently down the sidewalk, white stick in hand, sunglasses shading her eyes as traffic rolls by at 40 mph. I don't know her story, but every time I see her I am amazed at the indomitable strength of the human spirit. I am assuming she is blind, at least to some degree, but you would never know it by the way she walks--it's the cane and sunglasses that give that much away. I also assume she is walking to pick her child up from the elementary school a half mile away. I see her almost every afternoon, and almost every afternoon I am hungry to know her story. It is obvious she has great strength, she's a fighter.

I recently read the blog of a high school friend. She has ALS. And she is young--oh so young, with three sweet kids to care for. In the matter of one very short year, she has gone from running marathons to acquiring her first wheelchair. And she laughs. She laughs because it is easier that way. She also has great strength. She, too, is a fighter.

My sister cares for my kids with the loving tenderness she reserves for her own. It is I who reminds her NOT to lift my sleeping angel from her car seat, with a warning: Mindy, you recently had a stroke; no heavy lifting for you. She runs. She runs despite a weakened leg and a foot with some remaining palsy. She listens to my sob stories and cries with me, when it should be the other way around. What difficulties have I been dealt in this life that compare with hers? She, too, has strength. She's also a fighter.

I think about these stories, and so many more, and I am in such awe of the indomitable strength of the human spirit. In a way, I know that we are all this strong; I've seen my share of tough times, and I made it out alright. But sometimes I catch myself thinking: I could never handle that. Or I think: That would kill me. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger, it is true; these women are living, breathing proof of it. So, where do you find strength? What drives you to continue fighting? Think about it.

Comments

Kristina P. said…
I look at people all the time and wonder how they deal with something, or get through something. I don't tend to think I'm a super strong person, but I guess you never know until that's put to the test.
Erin said…
You know, I read this post earlier today, when I was in a big rush and didn't get to post a comment. But I wanted to let you know that I have been thinking about it all day.

I completely agree with everything you said...I am so impressed with other people's strengths, and like Kristina, I don't feel like a super strong person.

On the other hand, I believe that everyone has a "story." And if we knew someone else's story, we would probably be blown away by how strong they really are. And if other people knew our story, they would probably be amazed at our strength too.

I kind of wish I could post my story on my blog, but fear (of judgment, etc) stops me.

Thank you for making me think so much today!
The Rambler said…
Omigosh, GREAT post today!!
Em said…
running used to be my strength b/c it was about doing things i never thought i could do. being a mother is my current strength...for the same reasons as running. i guess that goes right along with what you're saying. i find strength in doing things i never thought i could do. there's just something empowering about accomplishment, especially when you thought you were not previously capable of it.

thanks for helping me make that connection.
Kate said…
I agree. There are so many people that are SO strong. I don't know if I could do it.
Susan Anderson said…
I find strength in God, and I gather additional strength from my family. When I had my hardest health challenge, years ago, it was knowing I had to mother my children that kept me going. Some of the women in my treatment group didn't have children, and I wondered how on earth they made it through.
Wonder Woman said…
My grandfather passed away from ALS. (Lou Gehrig's, right?) It is not a pretty sight. My heart aches for that mother I don't even know.

I do not think I'm a particularly strong person. Mostly because I haven't really gone through anything too hard. Which scares the crud out of me.