Let Me Explain, and a Few Random Journaling Notes

I've been asked more than a few times, If the blog is called "For My Four", then why are there five kids in the picture? Well, let me explain. Only three of the kids in the photograph in the header of my blog are mine. Aaron and I had taken our kids and two of my nieces to Antelope Island to celebrate the last day of school last year. (Haven't been there and you live in the area? You should definitely check it out. It's a great place for beautiful photographs if you can get over the briny smell and a few biting flies.) At that time, Keelie was struggling quite a bit. She had absolutely NO attention span and we couldn't get her to sit still long enough to get a picture, let alone a group shot. So the kids you see in the photo are Brighton, Paige, and Aiden, and my nieces, Brooke and Bailey.

And now for some random journaling.

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to play nurse-midwife for my cat as she delivered her first, and hopefully last, litter of six kittens.(Yes, I will get her "fixed".) I can't say I've done that before. Nor do I desire to do it again. Yuck! Now I have seven cats. And if you ask my husband, that's about seven cats too many. So, again, if you live in the area and want a cat, I have five Siamese kittens and one black one. It's too soon for me to determine the gender of the babies; they all look like females right now. I'd better wait a while longer to proclaim them male or female; I wouldn't want to cause any gender confusion.


This morning, as I write this post of randomness, I am listening to my children while they watch my favorite episode of Arthur. It's the music video one, (if you're familiar with Arthur then I'm sure you've seen this one before) when they sing, Having fun isn't hard when you've got a library card. I don't know why this is my favorite episode, I just know that the first time I watched it, about eight years ago, I loved it.

Tomorrow I get to go out on a bona-fide date with my husband. We are going to meet some friends for dinner. These friends are the kind of friends that you know Heavenly Father has placed in your life for a reason. We met seven-and-a-half years ago when we bought houses in the same neighborhood. We both had new-born daughters that became friends once they got a little older. We share the same dry sense of humor, so we get each other's silly jokes. Then, about three years ago, their son was diagnosed with a rare genetic syndrome. They learned he most likely wouldn't live a very long life. Aaron and I did our best to offer them comfort as their lives changed and their world was rocked. At that time, Keelie was a tiny, and seemingly healthy baby. Our friends remarked at how miraculous it was that we had been blessed with four healthy children. A year later, when Keelie began having so many seizures that she was basically non-functioning, they offered us comfort and guidance as we began our journey on the path of the special-needs family. We've been blessed to have them as friends. (And she reads my blog. Hi, Rachel!) But this is really the subject for another post. I'll think about that one ...

Today is picture day at school, so I guess I'd better step away from the computer and do some hair and pick out some clothes for my kids, so they look like civilized little human beings and not the crazed jungle beasts they really are. ; ) Have a great day!

Comments

Kate said…
Brand new kittens, how fun. They are fun but they do grow up. We have one cat we would like to get rid of. Now you have me singing that song in my head, thanks. Just kidding. Have a super weekend. I know what you mean about certain people that are just placed in your life for a reason. Aren't we lucky?
Em said…
oooohhhhh picture day. always drama on picture day. i promise i did my best to have their hair combed and clothes straight, but i can only do so much after two recesses and lunch. sigh...
i would LOVE a kitten, but i don't think my cousin would let me have one. we'll see. i'll let you know!
Anonymous said…
If I lived near you I would definitely take one!!!

Have fun on your date, we all need them ever now and then!!!
Susan Anderson said…
Some friends are simply indispensable. Sounds like these two were meant, quite literally, for you.

Hope you have a GREAT time.

=)
Erin said…
It sure is a pretty picture at the top of the page. I love how the water sparkles.

I hope you have a wonderful time on your date!
Kathy P said…
So I always thought it was your four kids and you in the picture... :)

I always forget picture day at school... my poor kids look like rugrats most of the time... oh well, its at least real, right?
Trent said…
My eyes were still watering from the letter posted above. So then when I started reading this post the tears fell!!! We had a great time lastnight and appreciate your friendship so much. We are also so happy for you and how far Keelie has come. She has a strong spirit and has been loved by a wonderful family.
We really need to find the time to get together more.
Plus, I loved the picture of the kittens!!!!! I was laughing at the same time. You had better keep them away from Aaron. hee hee JK!!!

Take Care,
Rachel & Trent
Trent said…
I forgot to add....... I was laughing at the Arthur comment. Just the other day(when it came on) Izabella and I were saying how much we loved that Arthur the most. When Izabella was younger she used to have to look away at the Dr.Jeckyl and Mr.Hyde video portion. The transformation gave her the creeps! The library card part sticks in your head the rest of the day!

Rachel