Perspective

Last night I had the rare opportunity of attending Enrichment night at church. Aaron was able to make it home to watch the kids just in the nick of time, and I escaped to have dinner with women from the neighborhood.

The seating arrangements were divided up by birthdays, so we all sat at a table filled with women born around the same time of year, (but not necessarily under the same Zodiac sign).

After dinner, they surprised us with cake decorating. Each table of women chose a cake and some decorations, with which we were to come up with a theme and decorate our cake accordingly. For those of you who don't know, the Relief Society of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has just celebrated its 167th anniversary. We decided to work this into the theme of our cake--that and candy. We had lots of candy to decorate with, and couldn't resist the sweet theme. So the theme was "Sweet for 167 years". We even wrote this on the cake with pink icing.

As we decorated ( I use the term decorated loosely here) the cake with candy by poking candy corns into the hardened chocolate frosting, and sprinkling mini M&Ms around the edges, it became apparent that some of the women weren't satisfied with how it was turning out. I was perplexed; after all, who wouldn't love a chocolate cake decorated with candy? It's chocolate, it's candy--what's not to love? I was satisfied with our theme and our cake, and couldn't wait to grab a knife and cut into it. But others insisted that it wasn't good enough and even wanted to try again with a different cake. For the life of me, I couldn't understand why the other women thought the cake was so pathetic. I was thinking, yeah, so. Let's eat.

I guess my point is, am I satisfied and easy-going, or am I just lazy? It's a matter of perspective, I guess. Sure, there have been times in my life when I've been called a perfectionist. However, the older I get, the less frequently I hear that term used in reference to me. I find it's easier, and more satisfying to accept things as they are, rather than try for any level above what I can offer without extreme effort. That's not to say that I haven't been successful in my life, or that I accept unacceptable conditions; I certainly push for change where and when change is needed. But maybe being a little lazy has led me to be satisfied with life.

Now, can we cut the cake, already?

Comments

Kristina P. said…
It sounds like you are easy going, and not a perfectionst.

I haven't been to Enrichment in about 5 years, due to my schedule, and I miss it!
Candy McCall said…
Sad I missed it.
I heard some of the place settings were really fun.
Kate said…
That sounds like a great activity. It is so true that some ladies just can't be happy with anything. Have a great week.
Lorie said…
I would have just been happy with the chocolate cake!

And easy going is a good thing! ;D
Kathy P said…
You are a girl after my own heart!!! I am all about eating the cake. NOW!

Cute idea for an activity. I just hope if we do it in my ward, I team up with someone like you!
Em said…
favorite fiauna post right here!

i feel like you are writing about me, and i do not want to take any thunder from your beautiful writing about yourself by saying this. i just feel the same way:-)

also, soooooo loved lagoon as a kid, and what i wouldn't give to have lived by it;-) i went to elementary school in sandy when i lived with my mom, but was born in california and claim it for where i grew up b/c i lived there for the majority of my life (just not grades 1-5).

we have our rs birthday party enrichment on st patty's day. i have been helping my mom with the little party favors this week. so cute. i can't decide if i like the fact that it will be on st. patty's day or not? i mean, can i eat baked spaghetti instead of corn beef and hash??? yes, yes, don't need to ask, i LOVE baked spaghetti. i'll have to post that recipe soon. you'll love it, so keep your eyes peeled.

i'm sitting here with wet hair from swimming and am realizing i've just left a page long comment. woo, go me;-) hope you have a great day tomorrow!
Em said…
p.s. what's your opinion about vaccines and autism?
Wendy said…
ok..i've stalked your blog..and now i'm commenting...about enrichment..i too found the cake decorating became too competative..in many ways..i thought the "fun" got lost..and i was sad i didn't get to sit at my birthday table (it would have been yours.) I too have a "whatever works" attitude..and i'm glad you enjoyed it!
Em said…
sob! i teared up this morning as i read your comment on my blog! i would LOVE it if you wrote a post on it:-) would you mind if i posted your comment as one of my posts this week?
Cynthia said…
That cake sounds awesome! I'm very much like you. Even when I try to be perfect, it just doesn't happen so I've also learned to accept what is and is not possible for me. I *do* like to 'bring it' though if I'm cooking for others so sadly, I'd probably have wished I'd done a better job on the cake too- but I don't think I'd want to do it over.

Our activity is next week and I've been asked to talk about journaling which will probably become about blogging.
Kathy P said…
Hey Fiauna, I didn't get your email. Can you try again?

kathysblog at gmail dot com

Thanks
Wonder Woman said…
I know you've been commenting on my blog....sorry for taking so long to get over here! I tend to be on the lazy side. Maybe it's just part of being easy going.

Sounds like a fun idea for an activity!