Thanking My Angels

Today my heart is full. (Oh, that sounds so much like a church talk. Well, in a way, I guess it is.) Today we spoke of the Ministering of Angels, something I thought I knew everything about. I've heard the pioneer stories and loved them, truly. I've heard many personal stories and have enjoyed and felt uplifted by them. Well today was my day for an epiphany.

As I sat in class today (which wasn't supposed to happen. I was supposed to be teaching primary, but thanks to conference, the lesson schedule was rearranged and I was allowed to attend my classes.) I listened to the lesson with polite reverence. The woman teaching the lesson shared touching stories from her own life; stories of angels who have come and gone. As she spoke she shed a few tears. Then she spoke of her daughter's experience of being a peer tutor for the challenged students of her school. I was especially moved.

We all know how I feel about my daughter, and those like her. They are truly angels sent to teach us how to become more Christ-like. What I didn't expect to learn today is that when we serve these special angels and their families, we become angels ourselves.

Through the experience of raising my daughter, I have had days when I have felt down, depressed, desperate, at the end of my rope. I have also had days when I have felt strong, capable, blessed; I have felt the ministering of angels. These angels come in the form of friends who help, family that offer support, and strangers who share a knowing smile or a kind word. And sometimes these angels are like this teacher when she said, "I am in awe of the mothers of these special children ..." Awe? That word is so powerful. To stand in awe of a mother doing her best to rise to face the challenges ahead of her--I can't tell you how much I appreciate that.

I don't know that my challenges are any greater than any other mother's out there. All I know is that when you share a kind comment, a word of encouragement, or a knowing smile with me, you become my angel. Thank you.

Comments

Kristina P. said…
I loved this post, Fiauna. You made me see angels in a different light.
Karies place said…
I love that comment about "administering angels." I'm a wondering blogger and wanted to stop and say hi.
Candy McCall said…
Thank you for always sharing your thoughts.
I love them, and the perspective you are blessed to see.
Susan Anderson said…
I never thought much about angels until Elder Holland's last conference talk, which really moved me. Your post moved me, too.

Thanks. =)
LaurieJ said…
What a beautiful post!
I missed church yesterday but this gives me something to think about today.
Thanks :-)
Em said…
example 400 million, 500 thousand, 292 why you are in my "blogging goddesses" blog roll.
the end.
Kathy P said…
Loved this post Fiauna! Beautifully said. How would you feel about me putting this post on my Real Angels, Real Life blog? I think it is perfect. Email me if it is ok.

Again, loved the post.
You're Welcome! He-He. You are my angel! :)