Those Three Little Words, Spoken at Night

My little angel rarely sleeps through the night. That's okay. I've gotten used to it now. Usually it's pretty easy to get her to go back to bed, though there have been nights when she's wanted to throw an all-night party.

When she wakes at night, I normally hear her laughing and clapping her hands, or trying to sing a song from preschool, you know, happy sounds. But last night she woke me with a scream--a really loud, blood-curdling scream. I sprang from my bed with the agility of a puma. Well, okay, more like the agility of a nearly middle-aged mom of four at two a.m.. Which, of course, meant struggling with the covers and nearly falling to the floor when I tried to get out of bed. I rushed down the darkened hallway to her room to find her sitting up in her bed. Smiling.

Yep, the help-me-I'm-about-to-be-sucked-into-a-black-hole-and-eaten-by-aliens scream was nothing more than a ruse. She was playing me. I don't know if it was just to see how fast I could get to her just in case she really was being sucked into a black hole and about to be eaten by aliens, or what, but it worked. I settled her back down in bed, pulled the covers up around her chest, handed her Sneech to her, and said, "Good night." Before I could move from her bedside, she replied, "Night, night. I love you." It actually sounded more like I wuz you, but I understood her perfectly.

I honestly didn't know if I would ever hear those long yearned for words from her. And who knows if I'll ever hear them again. But I will gladly rush to her bedside at any hour just for a chance to hear her say I love you.

Comments

Kristina P. said…
This sounded so cute!
The Rambler said…
Awwwww....I'm so glad you got those words. Second best to Momma.

I'm staring down lil Rambler trying to get her to say it. She giggles and thinks it's funny so therefore doesn't say it.

:)
Erin said…
Oh, how sweet! Generally I'm a little cranky when I am woken up at 2:00 in the morning, but then my boy says, "I just needed a hug," and I melt a little.
Susan Anderson said…
Awwww. Love those mommy moments.
Candy McCall said…
That is the best thing I've heard all day!
LaurieJ said…
To hear those words you wouldn't mind being woken up every night right? :-) Just hopefully not with a scream!
Fiauna, that is awesome!! Where we are not around her everyday we see her make such huge strides in her development when we do see her. She is such a beautiful little girl and you are a great Mom! No better words out there!!
Unknown said…
wow that is wonderful..no not being woke up at 2. being to she wuz you at 2.
Kathy P said…
That is so sweet. I think those are the best words ever! Of course, if she screams again tonight, with a smile, she may just have a little plan a-hatchin'

She could have screamed in earnest and then heard you falling and crashing around. That would make me smile.
Our Crazy Life said…
Stopping by from SITS to say Hello. That is so sweet, the best words you will ever hear from your little one. Unfortunately they grow and it gets harder to get them to admit it!!
Amy said…
That is so sweet and heartwarming at the same time! What a stinker to get you to her room like that, but so sweet of her to compensate for your trouble.
Em said…
you should write a book. really, like a book about your life. i guess that what a blog does too, but you should write a book and sell it in a store. i would totally buy it;-)
Christy said…
Awww, how wonderful! You'll hear her say it more--I know it!