He's Got a Crush... and I'm Not Talking About David Archuletta

Everybody knows that a boy's first crush is his own mother. Well, you know that your little boy is growing up when his first crush is replaced by a real crush.

My little boy has his first real crush.

We were driving home from a school performance when it began to snow. As we rounded the corner and our house came into view, I could see two doves perched on the porch railing to get out of the weather. They were plump and feathery and oh so cute.

"Look, Aiden," I pointed out the birds. "See the doves? Aren't they cute?"

"Oh, they are cute," he answered with excitement. And then, to my surprise, he said: "They're cuter than Miss G."

I was shocked, but I instantly knew to whom he was referring; he's talked about her before. She's not the teacher; she's just a little girl in his kindergarten class that he happens to call Miss G.. "Do you mean Emma?" I asked. He smiled and nodded his head. "Do you have a crush on Emma?" I asked. He smiled, but then he realized what he was admitting to.

"No, Mom," he said, shaking his head. "No, I don't." He looked like he might just cry, his large, green eyes filling up with tears and his lower lip pulling down into a pout.

I told him that it was okay to have a crush, and he smiled again. He told me to whisper when I told anyone about it. So I'm whispering: Aiden has a crush on Emma!

Though I am saddened to be so quickly replaced as the object of my son's affection, I know this girl and her family, and might I say, she is a cutie!


On another totally random note: I need you all to go to my other blog, The Sprightling Diaries, and check it out. I'm posting a chapter of In the Twilight every Saturday, and boy do I need readers. I'll love you forever if you give it a try.

Comments

Kate said…
It is so hard to believe it when they have their first crush, but it is so cute. How fun. Have a super weekend.
Kristina P. said…
What a cutie! I thought girls still had cooties at that age!
Brian said…
That is just too cute! I think it is so funny that he was so embarrassed about it at first. I would like to think I will never get replaced ; )
The Lunds said…
That last comment was actually me!
Erin said…
How cute! I am really scared for the moment this happens to my son/me.
Wendyburd1 said…
Aww how sweet! Thanks for stopping by my blog and the comment!!
kel said…
That is so sweet!!!
3 Bay B Chicks said…
I loved that you whispered Aiden's secret on your blog. Totally made me laugh.

Off to check out more of your wonderful writing!

-Francesca
Kathy P said…
I love it when my boys get their first crush... I have the hardest time not teasing them about it though. It is so cute to see that shy smile steal across their face. I am getting better. I have to or they will never tell me!

And I am all over your other blog... Love it!
steve and lisa said…
Miss you guys!!! What a cute first crush!! You have such an adorable family! Love ya!! Lisa