I. Want. Candy.


Back from spring break, and happily reunited with my computer. We had a fine week of pillow fort building, movie watching, and candy eating with the cousins. We even managed a few games of "beach ball" baseball (it saves on the broken windows) with Paige as a spirited cheerleader, and Aiden and Brighton stealing as many bases as they could. And then came the highlight of the week: Keelie's first real sentence.

While Mindy and I were filling Easter eggs in preparation for Saturday's afternoon Easter egg hunt, Keelie ambled into the kitchen, stopped next to where I stood surrounded by candy, and slowly, deliberately said: "I want candy." As I stood there dumb-struck, astounded at what I had just heard, she went on. "Can I have some?" she asked. What could I say but, "I'll be. It's an Easter miracle!" before handing over the jelly beans and Swedish fish.

Of course she's spoken before--she's been using words pretty well for almost a year now. But not like this. Her "sentences" usually sound more like: "Candy, pwease," or, "Have some? More?" This was different--clear, understandable, and phrased as a complete sentence.

I spent the rest of the weekend trying to bribe her with candy for a repeat performance, but to no avail; she's a one-chance kind of gal. If you miss the show the first time around, you never know when you'll have that chance to see (or hear) it again.

Comments

Kristina P. said…
That's so exciting! And I think that using candy as a bribe is always accpetable.
So sweet is that kind of experience! I would have done all I could to encourage a repeat performance.
Susan Anderson said…
That is such a fun age...and it passes too quickly! Which is why it's important to enjoy the little things, as you so obviously do.

=)
Erin said…
And of course you wanted to give her candy after that! How neat! I am glad you had such a nice weekend.
It's those great moments when you want to scream with delight and cry all at the same time. Yeah Keelie!
LaurieJ said…
...and what a perfect sentence to begin with :-)