The Power of These Photographs



What do these pictures have in common? Other than the obvious, I mean. Yes, they are all photographs of Keelie, my little angel. But what you can't see is the fact that these are all before pictures. All of these pictures were taken before we figured out something was wrong, before we noticed the differences, before the dreaded diagnosis. For this reason, these photographs remain treasures to me. They remind me of a carefree time when I was ignorant. They take me back to a time when I had four healthy children. They return me to a day when I considered having a fifth child. They are pictures of my daughter before I lost her.

Those of you who have physically lost a child through death may argue with my use of the word lost. But I assure you that my grief was--and is still--very real. Not long after these photos were taken, I realized that my daughter wasn't who I thought she was. When the doctors gave us the final word that she would forever be shackled to medication to control rampant seizures, that she may never learn to speak, and would never live independently, but always need daily care my vision of my daughter as I knew her died. I had to bury my hope for her future. I had to lay to rest any plans I had for her.

I went through a very real, and very relevant grief spiral. Anger, loss of hope, denial ... all of it. But what emerged from the wreckage of that spiral was a new me. When the dust settled, I was able to roll up my sleeves and get to work to reclaim a portion of the daughter I felt I once had. I read. I researched. I talked to her therapists to figure out how I could come to terms with this new child that I needed to learn to care for. I worked with her daily to teach her to respond to her name, to make eye contact, to play. My husband and I spent hours at night teaching her to walk. Eventually we saw progress.

But just when we thought things were going great, something would happen like a seizure, an off-hand comment from someone, or a therapist reminding us of just how much work we had ahead of us, and we'd be thrown back into the grief spiral again.

Yes, I am grateful that I still have a beautiful child to hold in my arms at night and sing lullabies to. I can gaze into her deep blue eyes whenever I want to. I cherish the fact that I still have a daughter. But, she is not the same child I gave birth to. She's not the Keelie I envisioned when I chose her name. I miss that Keelie. And though I love Keelie as she is, I loved that old Keelie too. I have no headstone, no cemetery plot to revisit and mourn that old Keelie (don't get me wrong, I'm grateful that I don't have these things). All I have are these photographs.

Comments

Wendyburd1 said…
Oh Fiauna I am so sorry, I had no idea. This is a beautiful post and Keelie is a gorgeous girl, both of her sides. And it IS your right to grieve for the life she will not have. You are her Mom and wanted all the same things for her that you have had. ((HUGS)) I am so happy I found you.
Susan Anderson said…
She's a beautiful girl, Fiauna, (and I can see why you call her an angel because she looks like one), yet I completely understand your need to mourn the Keelie you expected her to be. My niece is on the fairly severe side of the autism spectrum, and I know that my sister went through some serious grieving and still does, at times. Like you, though, she also loves and appreciates her daughter as she is, for there is much to love and appreciate about that now not-so-little girl. And she has reached milestones we never even dreamed of early on.

Your sensitive posts about Keelie tell me that she is very fortunate to have you as a mother. And judging from the "word list" posted on your sidebar, she is reaping the benefits.

Thanks for this beautiful post. Hugs to both of you.

=)
The Rambler said…
Oh Fiauna...this was a very beautifully written post. Thank you so much for sharing this very real side of you.

Always here for you. To read and listen.

Always.

I tagged you in my Monday's post.
Snarky Belle said…
Fiauna, this brought me to tears. There are countless types of loss and grief. You have read my blog enough to know that I believe it's so unfair to make comparisons...no one can judge your loss, and your mourning and grief unless they have walked this path with you. You are an amazing woman and mother, that is evident. I admire your courage and strength. You have been a tremendous blessing in my life as I am entering new territory with my daughter Chloe. I have no idea what I'm doing, I feel helpless.

Many people wouldn't understand, but I can tell you, I haven't been this sad, angry, exhuasted, etc. since the loss of Victoria. So many of the feelings are just the same. I'm sorry to ramble on, I just want you to know that from a mother who has buried a child, I truly understand. Grief is grief is grief...same with mourning and sorrow over our lost children. It matters little to me whether the loss is of an idea you had, a picture you had imagined your child's life would be, hopes for her future, or physical death. A mother's loss is her loss, and none should be compared. No one has the right to judge you.

Fiauna, I am sorry for your loss of the Keelie you once knew. I am sorry for your pain and sorrow.

I am also so thankful for the Keelie you have today. A most beautiful little spirit, in many ways too precious for this world. Her gorgeous, piercing blue eyes say it all.

Again, sorry for making this comment entirely too long. This post just really touched me. You are an inspiration! ((hugs))
Kate said…
She is SO beautiful. Those beautiful eyes. What a hard thing!!!
Trent said…
I love those pictures Fiauna. Isn't it so strange how "normal" it all seems the first year and then a glaze comes over their eyes.
Just this weekend I had found a picture of Carson when he was tiny. The very word for it was "easy" in my mind. So I hung it on the refridgerator. We DO love our children like crazy and know they are wonderful. Yet, we miss the child that once was and grieve for that loss. Plus as every milestone hits throughout their lives we will keep grieving through those moments. It's natural, right.
But as we once discussed, they are here for a much greater purpose. Less about them and more about us and those around us. It's a lesson to be learned. You do a great job and from the other postings you seem to have a good support group.

Rachel
Em said…
i never thought about the fact that you would mourn your daughter the way she used to be. you are so strong and positive that it's easy to forget all of the emotions and rollercoasters you must go through every day. your humor covers that up! at least through the blog;-) most days. i love your honesty. it's so empowering. and THOSE EYES. oh, those eyes!
kel said…
Oh honey, I am speechless. What a beautiful,but heartbreaking post. ((hugs))
Erin said…
Keelie sure is beautiful. What a well-written post.
Just SO said…
What a beautifully written post. You have every right to grieve the loss of that early Keelie and to continue grieving as long as you need to.

She is beautiful. Truly, truly beautiful.