The Reformed Slacker Mom

I'll admit it. I'm a slacker mom. I do my best to shirk responsibility when it comes to helping at my children's school. I mean, come on, I have enough to take care of here at home. What would I do with Keelie while I was trying to help the other children? I can just see her terrorizing the class room. She'd rip the posters off the walls, destroy the homework on the teacher's desk, steal off with the crayons and glue. Maybe I'd never be asked to help again.

So it's no big surprise to hear that I say no to the calling of helping on field trips every time. Until now. You see, my husband signed up to chaperon my son's kindergarten class on a field trip to the zoo. Younger siblings weren't allowed to join the crowd, so there, I had an easy out. Unfortunately, the date of the day of fun at the zoo didn't make my husband's work calendar and the secretaries booked his morning with all sorts of meetings that just couldn't be rescheduled. On the exact day we discovered the scheduling error, the teacher sent home a note thanking him for his willingness to help and added a list of instructions detailing exactly what he would be doing.

"You'll just have to call her and tell her that I can't make it to the field trip," my husband explained. Yeah, as if it's that simple.

Then Aiden looked at me with his big green eyes and asked, "Why can't you come, Mom?"

Oh, I tried explaining to him that I had Keelie to take care of. She needed to get to and from preschool and have her lunch and a nap ... blah, blah, blah. He simply stated, "Ask Benjy to do it." Say what? Ask my brother to help me out? My husband was quick to jump on board that one. "Sure, he'll take care of her. He'll get her to school on time and everything."

What could I say? I guessed I had to give it a try. I called my brother, asked him, thanked him for his willingness to help out, and prepared a list detailing exactly what he needed to do. Then I joined Aiden at school this morning to chaperon his field trip to the zoo.

I'll admit I was nervous. How would I handle a group of strange kindergartners at the Hogle Zoo? What if they got hungry? What if they needed to go to the bathroom? What if I needed to go the bathroom? I swallowed my anxieties, took my little group of boys into the zoo and ... had a really great time. I mean, I actually enjoyed myself. We learned about giraffes and strange Chinese cats. We saw the tiger and gorilla and got up close and personal with an orangutan. We watched two black bears fighting and stared at the horns of a white rhino. I don't think I've had a better time at the zoo.

And the best part? As I drove Aiden home from school he said to me, "Mom, this was the best day of my life."

Comments

The Rambler said…
Awww....that's so awesome.

YOU deserve a great time!!
Kristina P. said…
I love the zoo! Glad you had a great time.
Susan Anderson said…
In the days before pregnancy tests were available in stores, Hogle Zoo was my foolproof pregnancy test. When we were visiting family in SLC, my husband and I went to Hogle Zoo to sort of reprise our days at the U of U, and one whiff about laid me out. I knew then that I was pregnant.

Glad you had such a fun day with your boy. You'll have to do that again sometime! (It's probably good for Keelie, too.)

=)
Erin said…
It's definitely worth it when we get to do one on one dates with our kids. AND, it is so darn hard to be away from our other children! I'm glad you and Aiden had such a fun time together.
Em said…
as a former teacher, bless you for helping! and this has got me thinking...we almost went to the zoo today. ended up running errands instead. ALMOST a small world...or slc valley, whichever;-)
LaurieJ said…
My kids eat up the one on one time too!
I have been a slacker and skipped the classroom the last two weeks and I don't have an excuse :-( Tomorrow I will reform jsut to see my daughters face when I walk in!

Glad you had fun at the zoo!
Anonymous said…
I am a slacker mom too, but I am also chaperoning my daughters 3rd grad class trip to the pittsburgh zoo in may, wish me luck!!!

i have something for you on my blog by the way;)
Kathy P said…
I always have fun once I get there (where ever the volunteering fairy sends me) but I jsut hate signing up...

But the part of this story that stood out to me?

YOUR hubby signed up and told YOU to call and cancel for him... I had to chuckle... My hubby does that all the time. Or at least he used to :)
Wendyburd1 said…
Oohhh you made his day!! And you had a good time too, that's great! How did the BRO do with Keelie?
Jay Allen said…
How did the whole Keelie-Benjy day turn out?
Trent said…
That made my eyes water Fiauna. I am so glad that you went! Sometimes we get so caught up in the one that needs "everything" (not always by choice)that we forget how simple it can be to make the other ones day!
I went to the Utah House with Izabella's class and was amazed how much I enjoyed that! Plus Izabella was so happy.

Rachel
Emmy said…
Awesome! Good reminder that the things that might just seem like a hassle or extra work to us mean the world to our kids.
Snarky Belle said…
The best day of his life....how precious! Glad you had fun.

And, I don't believe you were ever a slacker mom!!
Just SO said…
Aww Aiden's comment made me tear up. That is so great that Benjy stepped in to help out. Brothers can be really great.
Kate said…
That makes it all worth it.
Candy McCall said…
So glad you had a good time.
And if your brother couldn't have done it...then who are the next names on your list? eh hem. ;0)