Seeking Brandon Mull

Just the mere mention of his name sets Brighton's face aglow. He's read every book; has them stacked next to his bed. He even stacks them next to my bed, telling me that I need to read them. And I will--when I'm done blogging.

Everyone knows that Brighton is a huge fan of Brandon Mull, author of the Fablehaven series. That's why my brother Benjy called to let me know that the famed writer was going to be signing books at the local Deseret Book store.

So last night I hauled all four kids out in the rain, braving traffic and ornery youngsters, to make sure we were at the bookstore promptly at seven o'clock, when the signing was scheduled to begin. Brighton hefted all four of the Fablehaven books through the store to where we found ourselves at the end of a very, very long line. At the back of the store. Tucked away in a tiny corner near the bathrooms along with twenty other people. It was hot, it didn't smell good, and Keelie began having a meltdown within the first ten minutes.

We waited patiently for the first thirty minutes. We all shed our jackets, used the bathroom, and tried to find comfortable ways to stand. The people around us cracked jokes about how slowly the line was moving. Brighton didn't think it was funny. He understood that we couldn't stay in line all night. He knew that we'd eventually have to go home, get Keelie out of the store before she hurt something or someone. His shoulders began to sag.

"We should just go home," he said. He was being realistic; the line had only moved five feet in 30 minutes. I encouraged him to stay another 30 minutes, figuring we could last until eight o'clock. So we continued to wait in the hot little corner of the store next to the smelly and often visited bathrooms and managed to move another two or three feet. Now Brighton's lower lip began to sag. "We can go home. I won't be mad," he said.

Now, I have to say that I am a quitter. If things don't go my way right away, I give up, figuring it wasn't meant to be. That's fine for me, though I know that I've missed out on quite a few experiences and opportunities for doing so. I don't want my kids to be that same way. I didn't want Brighton to give up so easily. Again, I encouraged him to stay. "Really. It's okay. We can go," he said.

So we quit the line, gave up, admitted defeat after waiting in line for an hour. I parted the crowds to lead my children back to the car, passing Brandon Mull on the way. I paused to let Brighton at least look at his favorite author, before retreating out the door.

How was I to know we had to be there an hour before the signing? I thought merely being on time was enough. I felt lousy. The children felt frustrated. Brighton felt dejected. As we pulled away from the store, he glumly offered: "It only took him four months to write a 580 page novel; but it took him an entire hour to sign his name."

Comments

Erin said…
That is so sad and so frustrating! I am totally a quitter in situations like this too. What a sweet Brighton you have!
What a sad situtation! I am sorry!
Rebecca Talley said…
I am so sorry that happened. What a great attitude Brighton has. My son loves the Fablehaven books, too, but I don't think I would've stood in line for even an hour.

Of course, having people standing in line for one of my booksignings would be a dream come true for me, but certainly not a fun experience for those in line. Maybe Brighton will get chance to meet Brandon another time.
Kristina P. said…
What a bummer!

And I have to admit, I don't really even know what Fablehaven is.
Susan Anderson said…
Wow, I'm just amazed at Brighton's maturity in dealing with the situation. That had to be super disappointing for all of you. It's crazy to think you waited a whole hour and barely made any progress in the line.

I've wondered about those Fablehaven books for my gandson who is 7. Sounds like a big stamp of approval from your family! (But is seven too young?)
LaurieJ said…
That is so sad! My daughter has loved Fablehaven and really loved Candy Shop War but I wasn't even nice enough to try and get an autograph...
What a good attitude your son has!
Wendyburd1 said…
Aww I am so sad he didn't get to meet him, that stinks! But what a good Mom to wait in a line like that! I have never heard of this series what is it about anyway?
Kate said…
How frustrating!!! I just hate waiting in those lines and it is harder when it means something to the kids. Bummer.
Kami said…
Oh how disappointing! It's soooo hard to wait in line with children. My three year old is TERRIBLE when she has to wait even two minutes and I can't imagine waiting over an hour. Your son handled it so well.

You have an adorable family and this is such a cute blog! Hope you don't mind me stopping by!