Where Do You Find the Words?

I hate playgrounds. I loathe taking my kids to the park. All of those children. All of those moms. They don't know me, and I don' t know them. But that doesn't stop the judgement. They sit on a bench, or in the shade of a tree, occasionally calling out to their children an admonition to be careful or stop throwing sand, before they turn back to the friend beside them to continue their pleasant conversation. I, on the other hand, chase my three-year-old all over the playground, catching her when she falls, pulling her to safety before she absent-mindedly walks in front of the swings. That's fine. They don't notice me or my child. To them we are just another family in the park. That is until it happens--and it always does.

Eventually my daughter will find their child and become fascinated with their hair, or shirt, or arms and legs. She'll pull the hair, stroke the shirt, smell, or even lick, the arms and legs. She'll push other, usually smaller, but sometimes larger, children down the slide. She'll throw sand at everyone and everything, laughing a sadistic laugh that draws more than a few baffled glances.

And if she isn't busy molesting someone, she's doing something only mildly less disturbing like tasting the sand or wood chips, or scooping sand and pouring it over her own head, again and again and again.

My friends and neighbors gave up inviting me to join them at the park long ago. I'm not sure why. Rarely do I go to the park on my own accord. But during soccer season I have no choice. Now I find myself at the park or playground at least twice a week while my sons have soccer practice. And while they are busy with practice, I grudgingly lead my other children over to the play equipment.

Where do you find the words to explain autism to some stranger's child? How do you answer a nameless seven-year-old when she asks: "Doesn't she know any manners?" or "Why does she do that?" "Why can't she talk?" "My two-year-old brother doesn't need help doing that."

And then there are the mothers. What do I say when they try to be polite by asking my daughter how old she is? Of course I answer for her--she can't answer for herself. Then they always, and I really mean always, ask her if she would like to play with their little girl. SHE. CAN'T. TALK. She won't talk. And most children, even three-year-olds, expect their play dates to speak to them--oh, and not to molest them. You should watch these mothers when my daughter starts tearing out their daughter's hair or smelling her ears. "Let's not do that. Try to play nice," they'll say in a sweet voice. Hah! I feel like grabbing her up in my arms and making a mad dash for the car. But then I could never go back to that park again. That would make soccer practice only slightly more awkward.

So I say to them, "She has autism and a seizure disorder. She doesn't play well with others yet, but we're working on it. Thanks, anyway." Dumbfounded, they smile and nod as I turn and walk away. They won't see the tears; those will come later when no one else is looking.

Comments

Kristina P. said…
What a tough situation to be in! And people are just so rude and nosy. You handle it very well.
Erin said…
Man, that is so hard! I can only imagine that they try to talk to her to acknowledge her existence...I'm sorry those times are so frustrating for you. Like Kristina said, you handle it very well. And I'm sorry that the tears come later. I'll be your shoulder to cry on!

(Oh, and I JUST saw the thing on the side that says "click here and read me" or something. Why have I never seen that before? I'll click over right now, but maybe you should do a blog post about it or something so people become more aware of it. Or, maybe I'm the only one who is completely out of it.
Kathy P said…
I LOVE that you are bringing attention to this. I know a couple people who have special needs children, but no body has explained it so well. And you know what? I need to hear this. I need to be aware. Not only so I can empathize but so I can teach my children to be more sensitive to different situations.

I am sorry it is difficult for you. You sound like a wonderful mommy. Hang in there.
The Rambler said…
I think you are an amazing woman and mother.

My cousin is the mother of a special needs son and she and I had a long talk one day about how hard it is but it's her life and she wouldn't trade it for the world.

She too, sometimes hated going out because of the stares, or the impolite/awkward ways mothers would move their children away from him. Some days are hard & bad, but the good days are GOOD she says :)

I love the kid. He's makes our family our family if that makes sense.

Be well, my friend. Always here on your side to lend an ear (or set of eyes to read your words :)
My heart aches for you. I can only imagine how painful experiences like this can be. I have to agree..it sounds like you handle it well. I would like to Thank You though..for sharing your story, your experiences. Its a good reminder to be a little more gentle and considerate of those around us.
As I read your blog it hits home Fiauna! Except Carson in frustration and confusion usually gets screaming mad and hits like crazy--head butts. So I get the "Why doesn't she teach that child that its not okay to act that way at 5!"
I have had those teary eyes as I leave the park and think "Never Again" knowing deep down that I will try it again.
You are very strong and do an amazing job. It's like you have said "Somedays we think they are doing remarkably well to the point that they are probably closer to their age group." Then we see the other kids and feel that sick feeling in our stomachs. But ofcourse then we re-focus and enjoy the wonderful achievements that we see everyday and feel blessed to have them. Stay strong sister! I know you will!

Rachel
Susan Anderson said…
You really increase my awareness, and I'm grateful. It sounds like you handle these situations very well, but that doesn't make them any less painful.

For me, you have been an advocate for not only children with special needs but for their parents...the ones who are supporting them as best they can in a culture that is not necessarily helpful. It's good to understand a little bit more about how I can, in turn, support not just the children but the parents, in a way that actually IS helpful.

Thanks.
Candy McCall said…
You are a teacher. Keelie is your object lesson. You have been given a responsibility to teach us. I have no doubt that you will be made equal to every task that will be required.

You are Keelie's voice.
Keelie is the Lords gift.
You are Keelie's angel.
Wendy said…
I have a "special needs" sister...I spent most of my childhood protecting her from people and their comments and questions and staring...they don't care to be educated...they are just glad it's not them..sad really...because I think everyone deserves a chance at life and experiences...I applaud you..I think you do a wonderful job with your family.
* said…
wow, I can see why park visits can really suck. One of my dear friends has a son who has a brain disorder (has a very long name, and they're still finding out more about it every day). Sometimes, people aren't the most sensitive about stuff, and I'm sorry for that.

PS: found you on MM blogs! I'll be back, I like your style.
Em said…
oh how i've missed your posts. i am back from vacation and indulging in your writing again! i hope you know that you have changed the way i interact with other parents and children. i can't say that i don't have innitial shock in situations like yours, but i do handle it differently from there. so thanks, your courage is inspiring.
Just SO said…
That is very hard. My oldest son has autism. A mild form. He wasn't formally diagnosed until he was in first grade. He would talk but it was mostly "echolalia" which I had no idea about. My son also liked to play "around" other kids but not really with them.

If you ever want to talk please feel free to email me.