Necessary Repairs

As I type this, my three-year-old home is undergoing some costly but necessary repairs. It's painful, but a part of owning a home. It's just that I didn't expect to have to repaint my entire house after only three years.

The problems started four years ago when we selected our builder. Choosing a builder is a big decision, and we jumped into the process maybe a little naive. We believed what we were being told by the sales staff. More over, we wanted to believe what we were being told. Now, four years later, we are beginning to repair the damage caused by that one choice.

And so it goes in life; we are always feeling the consequences of our actions. The choices we make today will affect us long after the moment has passed. The key is to make the necessary repairs resulting from our choices before the damage has spread too far.

And so, for the next two weeks, I will put up with painters peeking into my windows, watching my every move, while I pay the price for choosing a builder who didn't know how to paint a house.

Comments

Erin said…
Ugh. That's so frustrating because you don't know that you don't know anything about the situation (like building a house) until after you've been through it and can look back and see what you have learned. Isn't it frustrating to pay for mistakes we didn't intentionally make? Good luck.
Yuck! For your sake..I hope all goes well and you don't have to paint again for a LOOOOOng time1
Wonder Woman said…
I was just giving another friend tips on buying her first home. There are some things you just have to learn the hard way, unfortunately.

(WV is hater. A bit strong, but kind of appropriate!)
Anonymous said…
I feel for you, just remember these are life lessons we all have to learn somehow.

Have fun with the painters peeping in your windows!!!
Snarky Belle said…
UGHHHH! I'm sorry you are having to deal with this!
Emmy said…
That is a good quote. If only we could all see in the future.. I know we would have made some different decisions in regards to houses too, i.e when we sold, when we bought... you just never know.
Susan Anderson said…
Yep. Been there, done that. It is so frustrating to think you are getting someone you can trust and then have them do a less than sterling job.

Oh well, this too shall pass...

"/
Wendyburd1 said…
We bought this house when it was already in it's building stages and have had so many I HATE Norm the builder moments...you can hear everything...man did NOT insulate this house. My Dad has been pulling up the carpets for the last few years to re screw the floors and tighten the carpets, which is ridiculous!! And we are in the middle of getting to replace the kitchen floor and bathroom floors. Builders are getting LAZY!
Christy said…
Aah, the joys of Woodside's quality work. Don't even get me stared! :o)

I was just noticing something about the paint on the side of your house the other day. I'm sorry that you have to get it repainted. Are you sticking with the same color?
* said…
I hear ya. We're currently doing some backyard renovations leaving the current state of affairs in piles of sand, sprinkler pipes, and rocks. I'm trying hard not be bend out of shape about. urghhhh!

Best of luck, there will be sunshine somewhere on the other side of it all! ;)
Painters peeking into your windows? You should stop being pretty. Maybe they'd stop.
jen said…
Thanks for your comments on my blog. The Today Show interview is actually what spurred that diatribe.
I HATE house repairs. A house should just always be fine, like vacuum cleaners and cars. Best of luck, and I'll stop by to visit when I can!
Em said…
haha, make sure to take a picture of the peeking in. i'll bet they won't peek as often;-)
Kate said…
Not fun. Some builders really shouldn't be builders. We have had some trouble with our house also that shouldn't be problems.
Just SO said…
Oh dear! Well hopefully this new paint job will last for many, many years.