The Optimistic Pessimist

Last night, after the kids had been tucked into bed, Aaron and I sat down to watch Michael J. Fox's Adventures of an Incurable Optimist. It really gave me a lot to think about. So much of what he said resonated with me that I began to wonder, am I an optimist with a eye on reality? Or am I a happy pessimist? Is being a pessimist all that bad? Is being an optimist all it's cracked up to be? I've settled that I can be both, and enjoy the benefits of each frame of mind.

While I know that I am not truly an optimist, I don't really consider myself a pessimist either. I don't always look for the positive, but I don't dwell on the negative either. I like to call myself a hopeful pessimist; you know, hope for the best but expect the worst. For instance, a few years back when Aaron proposed going to Japan with out our children, I looked at him and said, "We'd better get our Last Will and Testament in order." It's not that I expected the plane to fall out of the sky and bury us beneath the Pacific ocean. It's just that if dying in a plane crash was a possibility, I wanted to be prepared.

When Keelie was diagnosed with Autism and a seizure disorder, Aaron and I clung to a quote from the movie Elizabeth Town: "If it wasn't this, it'd be something else." While that sounds pretty negative, this saying really helped us look at our situation in a positive light. If it wasn't the trial of Keelie's disability, it would be some other trial, instead. Trials are a given; they're part of life. And then, during last night's show, Lance Armstrong said something that really made sense. He said, "My life would have still been good [without the cancer], but it wouldn't have looked like this." Our trials help us see life more clearly. We become more focused on our goals and appreciating the good things in our lives. Optimism becomes a survival instinct.

I don't think that optimism is always finding the positive, it's not always seeing the world through rose-colored glasses. An optimist can still be a realist. And I don't think that pessimists always look for the negative in any given set of circumstances. A hopeful pessimist is preparing for the inevitable trials in life.

I think Victor Frankl said it best when he said: "Everything can be taken from a man but one thing; the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude to any given set of circumstances, to choose one's way." Isn't that the very essence of being an optimist? To choose to be happy despite undesirable conditions.

Michael J. Fox said, "If I could do everything, I'd have no reason to hope." Being the quote collector that I am, this one will definitely go up on the wall of my quote hall of fame. And every time I read it, I'll remember that I am an optimistic pessimist, and I will have hope.

Comments

LaurieJ said…
Perfectly written!
I loved this post...thank you :-)
Snarky Belle said…
This really hit home! Thank you!!
I feel that I'm an optimistic pessimist also. I love the way you brought it together, and made sense of it all!
Wonder Woman said…
I saw this last night, too. I loved it.

I would call myself an optimistic realist. I'd like to think I have very realistic expectations about things, but still look on the bright side.

I have more to say, but I think I'll just make it a post instead of hijacking. :o)
Susan Anderson said…
Great post! I even read it to my DIL, because we had the same conversation last night after watching Michael J. Fox's show. We even decided we were optimistic pessimists! (Then we sort of settled for hopeful realists.)

Anyway, I love the way you followed this through to a logical conclusion. Thanks.

=)
Anonymous said…
What a great post, thanks for putting it all into words.
Just SO said…
Wonderful post. I wanted to watch that special but forgot it was on and the tv stayed off last night. Darnit. I used to consider myself and optimist. Things have changed a bit in my life to make me not so much. And living with someone who only seems to see the bad in the world makes it extra hard. But I need to get back my attitude and be more positive. Thanks for this post.
Kathy P said…
There are some great quotes in here... love it.

I collect quotes too, have a huge wall full of them. I think I want to add the MJF one...
steve and lisa said…
What a beautiful post!!!
I LOVE your attitude! You are such a stong, wonderful example to our family!!
Have a WONDERFUL Mother's day!! Make sure my bro. takes really good care of you!! You are an amazing MOthER!!!!!! Love Lisa
Sarah said…
I watched it as well...what an amazing man he is!
What a GREAT post!
Kristina P. said…
I like to say that I'm an optimist with a bit of realism and cynicism thrown in.

You live in the Salt Lake area, don't you? I am doing a blog lunch next month. You should come! Details are on my blog.
R Allen said…
I've read Viktor Frankl. He is AWESOME! I, on the other hand, am a confirmed pessimistic pessimist.

It seems to work.
The Rambler said…
I so needed this post.

Excellent post once again Fiauna!!!

BTW...LOVED your funny today. I chuckled several times in bed and said I'll use that one at work.

Just so I can laugh like a crazy while my college kid employees roll their eyes :)

Laughing already again.

Heart you~!
Emmy said…
Hopeful pessimist, that is perfect. Last Thanksgiving I was asked to give a talk on gratitude and I gave my talk on my gratitude for my trials. No I am not a masochist, I just realize that my trials truly have made me a better person and have taught me things that I don't know if I would have ever learned.
Trent said…
We watched that lastnight too. Very Interesting. I do like your take on it all. I think I feel that I am both optimist/pessimist too. That is probably why in my front room by the clock I keep the vinyl lettering of "This too shall pass." It's a good reminder to me that when things are especially hard, things will pass. Yet when we are having truly great moments also, to enjoy them thoroughly because alas they will pass too.
Anyhow..good subject!

Rachel
Erin said…
Beautiful post! I'm sad I missed this show. I am definitely more of an optimist than I ever have been, but I'm not sure if that says much about me. (I guess I'm an optimistic pessimist too.) I love these quotes, by the way.
Wendyburd1 said…
Nice post! I am the opposite...obviously, LOL!
Cynthia said…
What a beautiful post!

I think I am like you- a hopeful pessimist or a realistic optimist? Amounts to the same thing, I guess.

I wish I'd seen that special. The 'silver lining' of our struggles with infertility was that I enjoyed my babies so much more than I would have if we hadn't had to go through so much to get them. The joy is directly proportional to the trial.
3 Bay B Chicks said…
I whole heartedly agree with LaurieJ...this post was perfectly written. Thank you for your powerful words and for sharing a peek into your word.

I am truly humbled.

-Francesca
Kate said…
Great post. Thanks.
Em said…
we watched the same show! i was thinking about using his book for june/july book club? i agree with everything you said, and have often wondered if i'm an optomistic pessimist. BUT b/c of the negative connotation of the word "pessimist" i like to call myself an "optomistic realist." did you ever read my post about that? i know you are a faithful reader, but i was just wondering if you caught that one. last month maybe? not sure excatly when it was...loved the way you put it into words.