Scenes of the Morning

Today, I am paying tribute to my morning routine with scenes from my morning. Why? you ask. Well, I'll tell you. Because the school year is coming to a close and my morning routine is about to suffer a violent shake up. I particularly enjoy my regular morning routine. It provides the ground work for the rest of the day's schedule. And it goes something like this:

After breakfast, I shoo Aaron off to work.
And I go to work on a sink full of dishes. I don't mind--really.

After barking at the kids to get dressed and make their beds,
I rescue Keelie from the bathroom where she is ALWAYS playing with the water in the sink and brushing her teeth with someone else's toothbrush--always.

As soon as I get a chance, I rush to my room and get dressed and ready. (Sorry, no picture of this.)
Then I return to the kitchen to prepare lunch for Brighton and Paige: A sandwich (usually peanut butter on wheat), an apple and a drink--sometimes cookies or pudding.
Then I must tackle four heads of hair.
After hugs, reminders about homework, and a mad search for missing shoes, Paige and Brighton head to the bus stop.
Once the older kids are safely on the bus, it's time for Keelie to go to preschool. Inevitably, I forget about her morning medications until I'm running out the door.
And then Aiden, Keelie and I embark on the drive to the neighboring town for preschool. I love this drive; I get to take the Legacy Parkway. If you live in the area and want to skip the mess on I-15, Legacy Parkway is way worth the trip.
After placing Keelie safely in the care of the fabulous Mrs. Bowe and the wonderful staff in her Functional Skills classroom, Aiden and I head straight to Super Target for some retail therapy. Oh, Target, how I will miss our morning rendezvous. But I guess it's a fair trade-off for warmer weather, swimming pools and no homework.

How about you? How's your morning routine?

Comments

Just SO said…
I really don't have a routine. Is that bad? I need to get one then maybe things would get done around here. Sorry you have to give up Target but absence makes the heart grow fonder right?
My morning consists of me hitting the snooze button 6 times. Jolting out of bed..in a frenzy because I am now late. Which means quick shower, a ball-cap to cover my hair and something quick to eat in the car on my way to work. Followed up by a 9 or 9:30 phone call from my hubby and boys..letting me know they are out of bed (finally).
steve and lisa said…
I LOVE that you go to Target!! (i won't tell Steve!) :( I miss Target! Ahhhh - the country life! Your pictures are so cute!!! Lisa
Emmy said…
Since my kids aren't in school yet our morning routine is very summer like. Some days we don't get dressed until well into the day. Other days we are dressed and out the door early just to actually get out. My kids like watching a show when they first get up, but since Lucas will be starting a preschool type class soon we have started the routine of needing to be dressed and eating breakfast before a show can be turned on.
Kristina P. said…
Target is AMAZING.
Erin said…
I miss having a Target near me.

Yep, starting next Monday, my routine will change dramatically. Good luck to all of us mothers!
Susan Anderson said…
First thing I do is get up and blog. (Oh, the joys of an empty nest!)

=)
Kate said…
Won't it be nice to get a break? I won't miss getting up every morning at 6:30 to get my teenagers out the door and make sure to make their lunch etc. It will be nice to not have to get up so early every day.
Loved the routine analysis. I cant believe you make lunches in the morning!! You are BUSY!
I totally feel bad for the Target part...cause I LOVE that too! ha!
Anyhow, Summer is more spontaneous and fun...in the beginning. hee hee
Its nice to have a rest from routines.

Rachel
LaurieJ said…
I am also dreading the shake up to the routine. I am wondering how I will eat out for lunch almost every day by myself with 5 kids hanging around! Hmm...
Kathy P said…
I would like to pretend I have a routine... but mostly we just have chaos.

With summer coming, there will be more chaos. Only I won't have to wake up so early to face it.

Kids know if they wake me it is chore time, so they let me sleep.
Ah. I can't wait.. My morning routine - check-up on my college girl (20), wake-up my 2 teen boys by 6:30 or 6am depending on their band/music practice; Breakfast/lunch; Remind them to brush their teeth, take allergy meds, check homework in backpacks and grab their lunches; Get them to HS or middle school; Wake-up my 2nd grader - tell him to shower; breakfast/lunch - and walk (or run) him to school...I can't wait to actually have more than 5 hours of sleep...
But I'll miss that early I LOVE YOU MOM as they head out the door!
Wendyburd1 said…
Mornings are for sleeping, LOL!!
proud mom! said…
Well my days won't change much when school gets out. I will still get up on mornings at 5 am, to deliver those wonderful papers. But I won't have to get my kids up..that seems to be the hardest part of the day, is to get them moving.
Cynthia said…
See, that's my whole problem. I don't have a regular routine. My life would function more smoothly if I did. When I get down to cleaning I always start with start a load of wash, make the beds, do the dishes- amazing how much of the mess just those 3 items take care of.

However, even my non-routine will suffer a shake up. You've just given me a great idea! I'm going to organize a Mom's Last Supper (except it will be lunch) with my friends and we'll do it a couple days before school gets out as sort of our 'last chance' for time out. Cool! Thanks!