Stop This Train

I woke this morning with a John Mayer song running through my head. It's got me thinking all introspectively. Ooh, deep.

Stop this train.
I want to get off and go home again;
I can't take the speed it's moving in.
I know I can't, but honestly won't someone stop this train.


-Two of my nieces are moving on with life; one graduating high school and going off to college, the other, starting a family of her own. How did this happen? Just yesterday they were little girls of four and five. My husband and I, newlyweds at the time, babysat them a few times, occasionally taking them over night or to places like the county fair. We enjoyed our little nieces then, and now.


-I've now been a mother for ten years. Ten years and I still feel like a novice. Does it ever feel normal? Do you ever feel like you've got the hang of this parenting thing? Something tells me no. My children are in a constant state of change, moving and growing at a rate that my parental development really can't keep up with. And before I know it, my children will be moving on with life, too.


-I wonder if this is how my parents feel. I miss my parents. No, they haven't gone on to greener pastures; they're still here, on Earth anyway. They are just too far away from where I am, spread across the country, from California to New York. And I worry that we are missing too much of each other's lives.


-I wonder if I am doing enough to forgive myself and others. Forgiveness is essential for progression, and progression is a must! I dwell too much on the small, seemingly insignificant mistakes I make. Sometimes this stunts my growth, thwarts my efforts to reach my goals.

-Sometimes I find it hard to let go of the past and move on. But move on, I must.


When I woke up this morning, the sun was shining, outside the world was clean and fresh after last night's hard scrubbing. I feel happy inside, but something is bubbling just under the surface. While I don't really want to stop this train, I do want to pause it for a moment. I feel the need to savor things as they are right now. My life is good. And while there are a few (very few) things I would change, I have been blessed--really, truly blessed.

Comments

Kristina P. said…
It is so weird how time passes by so quickly!
Erin said…
I have listened to that song so many times. My favorite line is "when you turn 68 you'll renegotiate." Love it!

The older we get, the faster time seems to pass. It's crazy.
bebe said…
I agree about not keeping up with the Parental Learning Curve. My oldest had his 18th birthday last week. I have now officially raised a human being to adulthood. Yikes! I'm sure I wasn't qualified to do that!
Just SO said…
Isn't it strange to see the ones we babysat graduating, getting married and starting families?? I have two nieces graduating this month. It's been so fun to have been a par to of their lives.

And I agree... I don't think being a mother ever gets easier. Because most of the time each new step is a step into the unknown. But if we keep the Savior close He will guide our steps and make the journey easier and joyful.
Emmy said…
Great if you still fell like a novice I have no chance :) But like you say things/kids are always changing. As soon as things seem to get nice and settled then something happens or changes. But keeps us busy and interested :)
Snarky Belle said…
Love this post. Beautiful.
Kate said…
I have been feeling this way a lot lately too. My kids are getting older and older and before I know it I will be an empty nester and I am not sure I like that at all. Enjoy each and every moment.
steve and lisa said…
Hello! Bawled like a baby after Kelcey left for prom! Bawled like a baby at church during test. mtg in YW!
Kelcey was telling everyone how she will be going to singles ward - AHHHHHH!!!!
Life is moving forward at warp speed & it won't be stopped! We miss seeing you guys, coming to your family b-day parties, special occasions, hanging out etc. And - we also miss you guys coming to our kids stuff! I feel so left out sometimes!! Miss your family!!! So glad you post such wonderful things on your blog! Love it! Love you guys! The Jones Fam.
Wonder Woman said…
Love this post. I think you're right on. I feel like a novice all the time, and it's kinda scary to think that after 10 years you feel like one, too!! Scary, but also comforting.

And I hope I always live close to my children. I'm only halfway across the country from my parents, but it's still too far. Once a year just doesn't cut it. And it breaks my heart that my children might not have the same kind of relationship with their grandparents that I had with mine.

Thanks again for this.
Wendyburd1 said…
I agree, moving on is so hard!
Kathy P said…
Ahh, well said. Sometimes I just wish I could stop the train for a little while.
Susan Anderson said…
Love that song! And love that you are taking time to enjoy the moments...
Anonymous said…
i have been a momma for 10 years, too... will be 11 years in June. and i still feel so clueless sometimes...
i think mothers of girls that are "TWEEN AGERS" need to have a support group! :)
Unknown said…
we were talking about how in 19 years how our grandson will be a missionary. seems he was just born. he says don't worry gramee i will always love you just the same.
Em said…
oh dear, if i could only learn to forgive. i am having crisis with my mother right now over this very issue. it's a long, long story. if you're running me with on the 24th i'll share!;-)
Jay Allen said…
I've been going through this same crisis. I'm amazed that Brooke and Aubeny are going to Girls' Camp this summer. Brooke was 2 weeks old when Jeannie and I were married, and Mindy was on bed-rest.
Sapphire said…
you know why you still feel like a novice? Because just as you think you are getting the hang of it, they grow up and enter a different phase. Then you're all thrown off again and just as you think you're getting the hang of it....BAM! They enter a new phase. And it never stops. Well, maybe it stops when they're like 40 or something.