The Amazing Power of the Childhood Imagination

When you close your eyes and try to remember your earliest memories, what do you see? Think about your first real memories, the ones that fit together and make more sense than the mere glimpses of moments snatched from early childhood. What do you remember of the time you became aware, really aware of what was happening in the world around you?

My first real memories, the ones that make sense, are memories of the dismantling of my family.

I remember sitting on the living room floor surrounded by folded laundry. I remember my mom rolling socks into a ball, the little footy-type socks with a fuzzy ball just above the heel. She was packing our clothes, preparing for us to leave.

We boarded a Greyhound bus headed for Pennsylvania. I remember nervous excitement at the thought of traveling. With my sister sitting next to me, I spent hours staring out the window of the bus as the country rolled past. When the night fell and the scenery was cloaked in darkness, my sister and I would imagine that the lights in the distance were trains carrying travelers to faraway places. We made up songs about these faraway travelers, and country-style songs about runaway puppies.

We made up stories. We giggled and laughed. At one point, I remember that I wet my pants. I was embarrassed and worried that the pee would roll down the center aisle of the bus. It didn't, but I was embarrassed and worried anyway.

The one thing that strikes me about these memories now that I'm an adult is just how resilient children are in the face of tragedy. What should have been a terribly sad time for my sister and me is remembered with a smile for both of us. My parents were divorcing. I wouldn't see my brothers again for nearly six years. Of course, I didn't realize all of that at the time. But what I did realize was that we were traveling across the country to find a new home in a new state in a part of the country I had never been to before. I was excited. I was glad to be with my sister. And when things were uncertain, maybe even a little scary, my imagination took over, embedding in my mind memories that make me smile when there should be tears.

In the long, long run of this story, things turned out for the best for our family. Both of my parents found love again. I gained a step-father who loved and raised my sister and me as his own. I have developed a wonderful relationship with my father and today he is one of my greatest cheerleaders. Eventually, I was reunited with my brothers. Now we have great relationships; I consider them among my best friends. I would say that I have been very fortunate.

What I take from these early memories is the amazing power and resilience of the childhood imagination. And now, when things get uncertain, maybe even a little scary, I can try to tap into that power to escape, if only for a moment.


Comments

Emmy said…
Thanks! Great to read.
My earliest memory is being in the hospital. I had open heart surgery when I was almost five. I remember playing old maid with a little boy down the hall. I remember them bringing food in to me and it was covered with a lid and it was so magical and "fancy" when they uncovered my food. I remember thinking it was so cool that I got to go to the playroom in a wheel chair!
So something that I am sure was terrifying/stressful for my mom, I just remember and think of as fun.
Kristina P. said…
I loved that you shared this. My parents divorced too and it was a hard time, but it did make me more resilient.
Erin said…
Great post. I love the way you look at this - with a childhood imagination intact.

Unfortunately, I don't have many memories of my childhood. I kind of shut my mind off from many years of my childhood. I do remember sitting on the couch, reading many, many books while sucking my thumb. That is a happy memory for me.

But I can't describe it as eloquently as you do! That was just a lovely post.
R. K. Allen said…
Thanks Fiauna. I consider you more than a daughter. You are also a friend, and I am ever more impressed with you as a human being. Love ya!
Snarky Belle said…
This brought tears to my eyes. While I did think back to my childhood, mostly my thoughts turned to my own children. As we prepare for yet another move, I've been consumed with worry for them. Will they adjust ok, how will my oldest handle moving away from friends and starting middle school, etc. Thank you for giving me more courage and hope. This really is a great adventure, and hopefully they remember it as just that. They'll be alright. Thank you for reminding me.
Wendyburd1 said…
I wish I could get back the imagination I remember having as a child. And I am so sorry you were seperated from your brothers for SO long! Why?
Unknown said…
Your blog design is so cute, and I love the subtitle, too. :) This is an awesome post. It really is amazing how resilient children are, and it's also just so crazy how smart kids are by coping with things just the way you and your sister did. I think that's pretty incredible that you two could take something like that and focus on the positive stuff and remember it to this day. And, I'm so glad that things ended up turning out so well. :)
Susan Anderson said…
It's true. Kids are resilient, and thank heavens! We could all take a lesson from them.

Having said that, I realize that they are vulnerable, too. But love is a great healer.
Em said…
my parents divorced when i was 3. my first memory is of them telling me they were getting a divorce, around 2. maybe a little before that. i remember my mom running up the stairs, crying on the bed and telling her, "it'd ok mommy, it will be ok." that's pretty much been the story of my relationship with my mom from then on. so sad:-( wish i could say i loved her husband, but currently we're in a bit of sorts over the whole thing. wish i could post about it, but not necessarily the thing you want to blog it out on;-) if you get ma' drift.
Love the way you write -
My earliest memory is playing with my cousins at my grandparents home and the death of my aunt (18).

It is really amazing how the child's imagination can make wonders..

Thank you for stopping by and for your caring thoughts...

Have a great week and keep smiling =D
Memories relived...i love um!
Shauna said…
Hey woman! I miss you! Hope you are doing well! ♥ HUGS ♥
The Rambler said…
Great post Fiauna!

It really is amazing how our imaginations were so free and rampant when younger :)