Deep Breaths

I just paused for a moment to make a blue-raspberry slushy for my son and decided to slow down and make this totally random, crazy post. I need this moment to take a few deep breaths.

First of all, my dad (stepdad, really, but to me he's just Dad) is in the ICU in some hospital in Erie, PA and I can't be there with him! It's driving me crazy. He has pneumonia and something is wrong with his heart that they haven't yet diagnosed. My poor mom is running back and forth between the hospital in Pennsylvania and their home in New York--I don't know if she's squeezing in her shifts at work, too, or not. I really feel like I should be there. But I can't.

Second of all, this Saturday is my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary. 50 years! 50!!! Amazing. They totally deserve a rockin' party to celebrate. And that's just what my husband has in mind. He volunteered to throw a golden anniversary party for them. So all week I am busy with the preparations. Cooking, cleaning, tying fancy bows with pink and gold tulle. The problem is I'm not crafty. Not in the least bit. So this should be interesting ...

Third of all, does anyone know how to make that frappe drink that is always served at weddings. You know the stuff: Sprite, lime sherbet, some other stuff. Anyone have that recipe? I need it.

Fourth of all, I must confess, I put the laundry soap in the dishwasher on purpose. I was out of dishwasher detergent and thought it would work with laundry soap. Yes, I'm that ditzy sometimes.

So how about your week? Just as crazy as mine? I'm sure it is; it's just part of being a grownup.

P.S. You can still enter my giveaway. Comment on the giveaway post, if you haven't already.

Comments

Trent said…
Hey Fiauna,

You need a break!!! I cant believe all of the work you are doing for that party. You are a great daughter-in-law!!!
I have an excellent recipe for a Lime Slush and a Pineapple/Banana slush. SO call if you need it!
Good Luck!

Rachel
Kristina P. said…
I hope your dad is OK!

I love that punch. Check Allrecipes.com

They will have it.
Emmy said…
I'm sorry! Hopefully everything will be fine with your dad.
And just tell your husband after this week is over you need a day off!
Good luck, I am sure it will all work out
Susan Anderson said…
That's the worst when you really want and need to be two places at the same time. Hope your dad is on the mend very soon.

As for the party, I'm not crafty either, so I feel ya!
Em said…
my grandma is about to pass away. my dad and all of his siblings flew back to iowa this past weekend to be with her. we on the other hand will have to wait until the funeral. so sad to know it's all happening and can't be there until she's already passed. so we wait...and wait...and wait. and then we'll scramble to get there. and the airlines will prosper from it. i hate that part:-(
Em said…
and selfish me only talked about myself. i hope your dad makes a speedy recovery and that your mom is able to balance it all. it's so tough when you have to work in hospital visits into the already busy mix.
Sarah said…
I do believe that the only thing in that drink is sprite and sherbet. You have to let it melt for a little while to make it taste right.
Erin said…
I'm so sorry about your dad! I hope things are going okay for him.

And that celebration sounds exciting. Good luck with it!

(P.S. How will it be to be married for 50 years? I can't wait to find out.) :)
Wendyburd1 said…
I am sorry you are so stressed out!!

That recipe is 1 can of orange-pineapple frozen juice (not so frozen), 1 thing of sherbert and at least 1 bottle of sprite if not more.:)
Anonymous said…
I will be thinking about you, your mom, and your step-dad, I can only imagine how that whole situation must be waying on you.

I use almost the exact same recipe as Wendyburd1, except we will use frozen lemonade mix, and lime sherbert and orange sherbert, and then lots of sprite. You really cant go wrong with it, just get a bunch of stuff and start mixing it.

I hope things settle down, I am the queen of craziness so I understand!!!
Trent said…
Fiauna,

And DUH!!!!!!!!! I am sorry about your dad and hope he is doing better. You must be so worn out.

So Sorry

Rachel
Megan Smith said…
Oh, I'm so sorry about your Dad.

Adult responsibilities are tough, all the work of managing everything alongside the heartaches. Not to mention that theres never enough of "us" to go around for all the needs that seem to arise.

This may be kind of silly, but after a long day yesterday I sat down and happened to find this video online and I just got lost while watching it. Guaranteed, it will make you smile, kind of a mini vacation for you:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNy9jTeolUk
Kathy P said…
Wow... you might need a dozen deeps breaths.

That has to be so hard to be away from your dad. I hope he gets well soon.

Whatever you do with the slush... don't mix sherbet colors. I made a yummy slush with Sprite and a three flavored sherbet. Tasted great but nobody wanted it because it was brown. :-)
LaurieJ said…
I hope all goes well with your dad. I know that frustrating feeling of not being where you want to be!

P.S- a couple of years ago I did the same soap thing. I blamed it on my two year old....:-p
musingwoman said…
Sending good thoughts your family's way. I hope all goes well with your dad.
Sapphire said…
So what happened? Did the laundry detergent work in the dishwasher?