Hooky Day


On a hot summer day a few years ago a tradi
tion emerged in our family called "Hooky Day".
Aaron took the day off work, and with nothin
g else planned, we played hooky all day long.
We've done it every year since.

Welcome to Hooky Day 2009.


After breakfast, we headed east toward the mountains.
A hike near Snow Basin Ski Resort seemed an appr
opriate activity for Hooky Day.


Keelie totally fell for this log.


In Huntsville, we found lunch at this cute restaurant.
Post Edit: When playing hooky in a small town, never underestimate the strange things you may see. I almost forgot to show you some of the Huntsville natives we met.
This woman was out standing in her field with her cattle (all of them were fake, including the woman herself).
Back home, a dunk in the water and some rest poolside was a great way to wrap up the day.
Ever played hooky before? Not since high school? Well, try it again; you won't regret it.

Comments

Kristina P. said…
I need to play hooky more often, it appears!
R. K. Allen said…
Speaking of Hooky, I'm taking the time - at work - to sneak this comment. I sure am happy to see a family enjoying the experience of "real life" together. Work is good - in its place - but you can't beat play time!
Susan Anderson said…
Yippee. I love me some hooky!
I'm just me... said…
I have a planned Hooky Day next Friday.
I played hooky on my daughter's birthday last year, we had a blast swimming and hanging out with our girlfriends at a local wave pool.
This year I have already planned the day off for the wave pool and we are taking Hubbs with us as well as her two best friends and their parents.
I guess it's technically a Hooky Day, but it will still be fun.
Emmy said…
What a good idea, though my husband would probably think he is way too busy at work to do this.. but isn't that the point?

Looks like you did a great job playing hooky!
You guys always find the most interesting things! :)
Hooky day, huh? That is a fantastic idea! I should implement that.
Erin said…
Interesting cows and (fake) woman...

What a fun day, playing hooky and spending time together.
Trent said…
What a great idea!!!! I was laughing at the woman with the cows since Trent actually had me going for a second when we passed them once!!!! I couldn't figure out how the cows looked like that. I know, I'm a nerd!!! Looks like a fun family day. And yes, I did like the Log picture very much. The narration made me laugh!

Rachel
Wendyburd1 said…
It sounds like a really fun day! Was that woman and her cattle really fake? Like plastic fake people or cardboard cut outs??
Em said…
love that idea!
Megan Smith said…
What a fun fun tradition! I can imagine that your kids ask about it and can't wait to do it every year!

So do you plan it ahead of time or do you just surprise the kids?
Anonymous said…
that is a really neat idea! i think we need to have a HOOKY day here in my family, too!!! i love the picture of the fake womand with the fake cows!!! lol! that is hilarious!
Candy McCall said…
What a great tradition.
Mountains are always a good thing!
Just SO said…
That looks like an awesome hooky day!!