Improvement

M.I.A.. Mutual Improvement Association.

I remember reading those words while sitting in a Sunday school class as a fifteen-year-old with a self-esteem about the size of a pea. I was probably grounded at the time, with a fresh batch of acne on my chin, a run in my nylons, and fifteen extra pounds to lose. I focused on the word Improvement and felt . . . What? Defeated? Overwhelmed? It's hard for me to choose the right word. In short, I just didn't feel good enough. I remember wondering to myself: When will my best be good enough? When will I be good enough just the way I am? Why am I always needing improvement?

At the time, it felt to me as if everywhere I looked, someone was doing better than I was. If I got straight A's on my report card, someone else got straight A's in all A.P. classes. If I got a new outfit, someone else got a new name-brand outfit. And in every area of my life, there was room for improvement. Though I had near perfect grades in science and German, my math grades needed improvement. In swimming, while my pull was somewhat strong, my kick needed improvement. At work, even though I showed up for work on time, my attitude needed--you guessed it--improvement.

I wondered if it would ever end. Well, now I know that the short answer is no. But I feel the need to qualify that answer.

At the immature and inexperienced age of fifteen, all I wanted was love, acceptance, and admiration. To me, at that time, suggesting that I needed improvement was to deny me love, acceptance, and admiration. If I wasn't good enough just the way I was--bad attitude, sagging math grades, and all--well then, I wasn't good enough, period.

Now with the wisdom of years I've come to realize that it isn't that cut and dry. I know plenty of people who love me the way I am. They know my flaws, have seen me mess up plenty of times, and offer me acceptance just the same. But I now understand the importance of loving and accepting myself. And in order to love and accept myself, I need to be the best I can be. To be the best I can be, I need constant improvement. And this process never ends.

It's not as bad as it sounds; when I'm working to do better or learn a new skill, I'm happier, more energized, and plainly said, nicer to be around. It's a win--win situation. The key is not to compare myself, my work, my best with that of those around me. Let's face it: someone is always smarter, thinner, and more successful--and with nicer shoes, too. What's important is seeing improvement. Improvement means progress. Progress means happiness. And when I'm happy I can love, accept, and yes, even admire myself--acne covered chin, running nylons, and all.


Comments

Kristina P. said…
I was talking to my coworker about a former friend who is in her mid 30s who still doesn't know herself or love herself, and it makes me sad!

I have flaws, which I know very well, and I'm very imperfect, but I love myself.
Emmy said…
Love this post. I have found the more I just try and accept myself and be happy the less I notice the flaws anyways, and then the less I notice flaws in others. Life is easier and happier that way.
R. K. Allen said…
Ich wusste nicht, dass Sie studierte Deutsch wie mich. Bis spater, und du schreibst sehr gut!
Susan Anderson said…
When I am doing what I need to do, I never compare myself with others. That only happens when I'm neglecting myself...and the "comparing" is really just me comparing how I feel when I'm taking care of business to how I feel (not good) when I'm not.

Good post!
Sarah said…
Very well said!!!! I felt the same way at 15 and I feel the same way you do now too!!!!!
VERY WELL STATED!
Anonymous said…
you are so wise! Reading your posts always help put things is perspective for me.
Tracy Loewer said…
Great post! We all need to be reminded of how far we've come, and not focus so much on how much further there is to go.
Anonymous said…
A very lovely post.
Fiauna, you were always 'good enough' for me. You were smarter than I could ever be. You had more talent than I would ever share. And were (are) the most beautiful woman I have ever known. In other words,.....I love you and always will. your mother
Trent said…
You do am amazing job Fiauna. I found that when I hit my 30's I quit caring more and more. I have resolved that its great to live in a world with so many different personalities and types of people.


Rachel
Em said…
BECAUSE I SOOOO needed to hear this today.
Wonder Woman said…
This is a fantastic post. As a parent, I hope my kids always know what they are worth, and how much they are loved, despite their flaws and mistakes. I've seen firsthand the consequences of low self-esteem combined with not feeling loved, and they're catastrophic.
heather said…
I really liked that. I think that those feelings carry into adulthood for a lot of women.
Candy McCall said…
This is why you are loved by many.
Thanks for sharing-
Kami said…
I think everyone in their teens is just looking for some acceptance and love. I felt all throughout high school that I was too ugly to deserve friends so I hid in my shell a lot. Stupid I know but I felt so inadequate compared to others.

Now I truly love myself and live by this motto: "The Lord created man in his image. If you say you are ugly then you are saying that one of his creations is ugly." I realize now that we can NOT make comparisons. We just have to live our life to the fullest and take what it throws you.