Books by my Bedside

Since the age of fifteen, there has been one constant in my life: a bedside table loaded with books. And though the books have come and gone, the bedside table has remained the same. In fact, it still bears the hole I burnt through the top veneer when I left a tea light burning on it when I was sixteen.

So what, you ask, is on my bedside table right now? Well, here's your answer:

A framed picture of my hubby and me taken while we were still only dating,
A glass for water,
A remote control,
A lamp,
and a candle.

Here are the books that currently sit upon my bedside table:

The Wednesday Letters by Jason F. Wright,
Blue Moon by Alyson Noel,
Northanger Abby by Jane Austen,
Awaken Your Spiritual Power (The Fairy Godmother Isn't Coming!) by (my personal fave) Susan Noyes Anderson,
Coraline by Neil Gaiman,

And, of course, the quad of scriptures that I got when I was seventeen (these have been a constant companion on my bedside table since that time), and a journal.

And for those of you who may be asking what's on my husband bedside table, here's a sampling of what you'll find over there:

A lamp,
An iHome,
A journal (he never writes in),
and the book he's currently reading, Between a Rock and a Hard Place by Aron Ralston, (You remember him. He's the guy that cut off his right arm when he got stuck while hiking in Moab.)

So, pray tell, what's on your bedside table?

P.S. This is how you say 'nacho' in German: Tortilla Chips in Schmelzkäse und Chilli-Pfeffer gedippt (Literally translated it's: tortilla chips dipped in melted cheese and chili peppers.) Those funny Germans, alway so literal.


Comments

Sarah said…
A lamp, a framed picture of my family, a prayer rock that says "prayer rocks", scriptures, and ensign, and a stack of books. Johnny Tremain, The Great Brain series, a journal that I havent opened for months and months, a tube of carmes, and not to mention about an inch of dust!
Kristina P. said…
I have the same scriptures I got when I was baptized! I have had to have them rebound once.
Susan Anderson said…
I like this one! My husband has a journal next to his bed which he doesn't write in, either. And I don't have books next to my bed because I read sitting up only, in my favorite chair. (I do have a notepad and pen handy, though, to catch any little snippets of inspiration that come to me in the night...)
Susan Anderson said…
Oh, and thanks for the big smile on my face...which appeared directly upon learning that one of my books graces your nightstand.

=D
A lamp, alarm clock/cdplayer,2 pictures of Izabella & Carson together, a picture of Trent and I while dating, book: Shelter for The Spirit, Book: Simple Abdundance:A Daybook of Comfort & Joy, and Carsons toothbrush!
Trents side has an alarm clock, basket full of everything and anything, standing light, Magazine: Road & Track, Head Massager! ha!

Lifes necessities!

Rachel
Emmy said…
Mine isn't nearly as exciting, but it is also small. I have an alarm clock, which I never set the alarm on (I have an alarm named Alex). I also have a lamp, and Breaking Dawn (which I have finished but is still sitting there.)
So that's it
Erin said…
Have you read any or all of those books, or are they in the "waiting to read" pile? All of the books I want to read are in a magazine rack next to my bedside table.

(By the way, I loved this post.)
Wendyburd1 said…
Ooh German, I am German and took it for 3 years but we never learned nachos! LOL!

I have my daily make-up train case, lotions, lip stuff, my Memory books I made, a lamp, a jewelery box, etc
Em said…
angels and demons, that i finished a few weeks ago, altared plans (rebecca talley's book, don't know if you know her), which i finished two days ago, my current book "my sister's keeper", lost boys, and a few more i can't remember. they are not all technically on my bedside right now, which is why i cant' remember them all b/c i have two bedsides. one at my parent's lake house where i am (with one finished book and one currently reading book), and then the rest i know are waiting at home on my beside. now, what are the others under that stack??? i know there are one or two more. i can't help but go through the costco book section every time i'm there. the one that's NOT there that i can't wait to add to my stack is "the time traveler's wife." ahhhhh, can't wait to read it so i can see the movie. i love the actress playing the main role.
Brillig said…
I have Blue Moon on my nightstand too! Along with lots of papers, a few more books, a lamp that doesn't work, and random toys/junk that my kids put on my bed that then get shoved to the nightstand during the night when I realize that the rubby ducky squeaked when I rolled over. Or whatever. :-)
LaurieJ said…
I have no nightstand *sigh* it only fits on my husbands side of the bed and he rufuses to switch sides ;-) but if I did it would be filled with books, chocolate wrappers, and checklists
Megan Smith said…
Let's see...scriptures, journal, "Hearing the Voice of the Lord" by Gerald Lund and "How to Handle 1,000 Things at Once", Don Aslett. Ha! That's funny. I'm kind of a boring person I guess:)
* said…
Coraline, such a juicy, creepy book. I read it a few years back late at night (of course!) and freaked myself out. It's a delicious read!

PS: Enjoy your date night tomorrow night! We'll eat a few plates of pasta for you...
Stephanie said…
I want to know if Northanger Abbey is a good read. Let me know what you think. :)