Missing Teeth and Milestones


It's a rare day when I struggle to find the words to express my feelings, but that's exactly where I'm at.

Last week Keelie lost her first tooth. Now, I understand that since she got her first tooth early, at three months of age, it stands to reason that she would lose her first tooth early as well, as in age four years old. But I was still taken by surprise when that little tooth began to wiggle its way out, preparing the way for the adult tooth behind it. Yes, you read that right. Adult tooth.

When my other children lost their first teeth it was an exciting time marked by a visit from the tooth fairy. The tooth fairy did not visit Keelie because . . . Well, I'll just go ahead and say it: She just doesn't get it--yet.

I understand that no matter who you are, or what your children are like, these kinds of milestones are always bitter-sweet. Milestones like losing teeth mark the steady march our children make along the path to adulthood, each step taking them further from infancy, through childhood, up the steep hill of adolescence, and finally out into the real world. But, while physically Keelie's body is making the journey forward, her mind is not. And milestones like these always bring that reality back to me. Her developmental milestones will likely never match her physical growth.

Don't get me wrong, she's made some big strides in her short life, meeting developmental milestones I struggled to believe she'd ever reach. In fact, she's talking so much now I'm going to have to delete the list of her growing vocabulary from the sidebar of the blog--it's just too big now. I'm thrilled by this because there was a time when I wondered if I'd ever get to hear the sound of her voice, let alone have a real conversation with her.

But I have to say that it's extremely difficult, and even painful, for me to imagine her some years in the future when her body has completed the journey from infancy to adulthood, her hair no longer falling in baby ringlets, her cheeks no longer rosy and full, but her mind is suspended somewhere along the path. Really, it breaks my heart.

I console myself with the kisses she so freely offers, the little songs she sings at the dinner table or around the house, and the oh-so-cute toothless smile she openly shares with me and the rest of the world.

Comments

Kristina P. said…
Oh, Fiauna, this was so tender and heartbreaking at the same time.
Lisa Anne said…
Loose teeth is the one thing I can't stand. It gives me the heebie jeebies. My son thinks it's funny to spin his loose teeth in front me. It literally makes me sick to my stomach. I have loose toothaphobia. lol
So truly bittersweet, yet wonderful!
Sarah said…
I understand your heartbreaking when you see your little one hit a milestone that cant be matched mentally. It hurts and at the same time is such a joy to see. My heart goes out to you! Reading your blog reminds me that I am not alone in this.
Emmy said…
Thank you for sharing this. It was beautiful. *HUG*
Anonymous said…
You have articulated the whispers of thoughts that surround me constantly when I am looking at my Wyatt (he's autistic) I try to see his future praying it will somehow be 'normal' but his unique beauty will never fit in that mold. I just need to step out of my mold to see it.
Em said…
have you seen my friend beth's blog yet?
http://bryceswifey.blogspot.com/
check it out.
she's in a different boat, but still, she's an inspiration, like you:-)
losing teeth. little babies. i'm not ready for brennan to move to a big boy bed. i'm going for 3 years before i consider;-) haha. we'll see.
losing teeth seems so far away!!!
Susan Anderson said…
I think I've told you before that my niece is autistic, and your feelings echo those my sister has expressed to me so many times.

Still, she has found much joy in this now 17-year-old child, just as you have found in your Keelie.

Thanks for a beautifully articulated post, Fiauna. And for being so generous in sharing your thoughts.

=)
Anonymous said…
so sweet & true! its hard being a momma & seeing our kids grow up :( i am glad to know that i am not the only one who feels this way!

i decided to get back into the blog scene! i missed everyone tooooo much!
I have no idea why it never bothered me when i was a kid (loose teeth) but my son losing his teeth freaks me out. The wiggle drives me insane. (more so than normal)
Tracy Loewer said…
That is a hard thing. I've kind of had the opposite with my son who has cerebral palsy. His mind is sharp, but it's been hard to watch him struggle to reach those normal physical milestones.

He's 12 now and high functioning, but he still feels bad that he can't get his body to move exactly how he wants it to. Little things like printing (he's at a 2nd grade level), playing catch, or navigating stairs are very hard for him. We've learned to celebrate the many small victories he's had over the years, but sometimes those challenges can be overwhelming for him and for us!
R Allen said…
My son won't let go of his teeth. We have to go to the dentist to get them pulled.

EVERY. SINGLE. ONE.
Cynthia said…
This post was so very sweet. What a beautiful and precious little girl she is- and she's lucky to have a great Mama too. I support you in your belief that she will do far more than seems possible- even if it occurs on her own unique trajectory.
Kristina P. said…
I hope you're still doing OK!
Kathy P said…
I can't get past those gorgeous eyes of her. What a little angel.
Snarky Belle said…
Heartbreakingly beautiful, tender and pure. Thank you for sharing your story. Love and hugs.