Resolution



Aaron had taken Brighton, Paige, and Aiden to their cousins' house to do some sledding with the ATV.
I stayed home with Keelie. We decided she is still too young to be dragged behind a four-wheeler.
Though she wouldn't be sledding, Keelie insisted on getting dressed up in her snow clothes to play outside in the winter weather.
I obliged, pulling on her snow pants and cramming her feet into her boots.
I stayed inside, watching her from behind the kitchen door, enjoying the warm indoor air. Winter play is for other people, hardy people who enjoy the cold and ice.
I watched Keelie making tracks in the freshly fallen snow, moving aimlessly from one place to another. Then she stopped, cocking her head to one side, looking down at the snow.
I was worried at first, gripping the handle on the door, ready to run outside and scoop her up, as this once was a sign of seizure activity.
But then as her mouth turned upward into a smile I realized she was just fine.
She was just feeling.
Feeling the cold air rushing into her nose.
Feeling the icy snow around her ankles.
Feeling winter.
Enjoying the gift of feeling.
And it really is a gift. We learn through feeling. We live through feeling.
And then I decided I need to feel too.
I donned my winter coat and pulled on my winter boots and stepped out into the winter air to feel the feeling of being alive.
We chased each other all over the back yard, scooping up snow until our fingers froze. Then we slipped back inside to feel warm again.

This year my resolution is to feel more. And enjoy it.

Oh, and to drink more water and eat healthier, too.

What do you resolve to do this year?

Comments

Emmy said…
Beautifully written! And what a good resolution... how often do we just sit back and let them play... I like this, I might just have to adopt it too.
Susan Anderson said…
Sounds like a wonderful moment with Keelie. I'm glad you went out there.

As for me, I plan to do pretty much the same thing as you are this year...Get out there into the mix of things more...FEEL more. (And for me, DO more.)

I sorta coasted this year, but in 2010 I'm ready for some zest!

=)
Sarah said…
That is a beautiful sentiment!
Your posts..your feelings and thoughts are always so incredible! Thanks for sharing with the us!

As for my own resolutions....my goal is to find that inner peace.
Em said…
love this.
resolving to not bite sean's head off during the middle of the night feedings;-)
Very cute picture. When I was skiing I wore a green coat too. You know what I'm talking about. :) We love our Keelie!
Good idea. I forget to feel too. great New Years resolution.

now following from mom blogs