Off My Soapbox

I'm coming off my soapbox--way off my soapbox--to talk about running.

My sister is a runner. She started running in high school when she joined the cross country team with a bunch of her friends. She's lithe and lean and claims that once she gets started, running just comes naturally. She's built for running.

I am not a runner. I'm short and stocky, and though I run frequently, it never comes naturally. I'm built for . . . I don't know, working in the coal mines or something.

Nevertheless, everyday but Sunday I gather up the strength to take to the road--the treadmill on a bad day--to pound out the requisite miles for whatever I'm training for. It never seems to fail that I'm passed by someone like my sister, long and lean with legs like a giselle, bounding down the road effortlessly. I imagine that when they put on their running shoes their feet cry with joy saying, "Yippee. Take us to the road and don't stop until the sun goes down." When I slip into my running shoes my feet groan, "Ugh, not this again," requiring frequent pep talks along the way just to get me home again. My legs feel like lead, heavy, thick and immovable. But, bless my heart, I keep going, pressing on. For some reason I keep thinking that someday I'll wake, having shed my coal-miner's physique, to find the lean and limber body of a runner, ready to hit the road running.

My naturally athletic sister-in-law invited me to run this big race with her and group of her equally athletic friends. Now, I'm not athletic, but I have been running almost daily for about seventeen years. And because I've been running almost daily for so long, my sister-in-law's fit friends decided I should be their team's pro runner. Uh, say what? That means I should gear up to run about eighteen miles. Gulp.

I'm scared out of my mind. I'm thinking I only have four months to morph into an ultra-fit uber runner. Yeah right. And I'm praying for a miracle though everyone assures me that the race is so much fun and there's nothing to worry about.

So, if you see me on the side of the road, trucking along more like a shetland pony and less like a race horse, do me a favor, would ya? Honk and wave. Give me some love. Because, you know, I could use all the help I can get.

Comments

Tracy Loewer said…
Seventeen years?? Holy mackerel, that's crazy. I'm glad I'm not the only one that struggles with running. I love going to the gym, but much prefer the weights. I can run 5k in under a 1/2 hour (not stellar, I know), but I don't like it. Good luck with all that running. Glad it's not me, haha.
Susan Anderson said…
Wow, I'm impressed by your dedication, especially to something that doesn't come naturally.

You'll do great! And I'll be cheering you on...from a comfy chair in my office.

;)
Erin said…
Wow, I am impressed just reading about it. Good luck to you!
Oh Fiauna, athletic friends? Ummm not so much, you have nothing to worry about!! You will for sure be the race horse with all of the shetland ponies trotting along for the fun of it!
I don't know how you do it????? I thought I was the only one who felt "ugh" when I put on my running shoes. I "hear" there is a point where you actually like to run??!!! Yet the fact that you have done it for 17 years and still don't "love it" makes me want to give it up already! Thanks Fiauna, that's all I needed to finally quit. YEAH!!!! hee hee

PS: I'm sure you'll do great!!!
Rachel
Jay Allen said…
Your wonderful writing skills make you sound like some hefty woman who wears a hard hat (not that anything is wrong with that.) Of course we all know how unreal that portrait is.
Em said…
i always had to get myself going and work hard to keep going the entire time. then when i was done i felt the high of running and felt nostalgic about all of my pavenment miles. running was definitely not something i ever did well as a child or teenager for that matter, but i really wanted to do it. it is still one of those things that gives me confidence and strength. i can't wait to get out there again.
R. K. Allen said…
You are NOT stocky. To qualify an absolute, you are quite perfect. And I am not biased. :-)
Christy said…
Puh-lease! You, my dear, definitely do not qualify as stocky in any way, shape or form! You are lean, and in denial. :o)

Best of luck!