Why Apologies Are Not Enough

To Rahm Emanuel, Rush Limbaugh, and all others who choose to use that word in that way:

Your apologies are not enough. It saddens and disappoints me that people in your positions and with your level of education have not elevated your sensitivity or vocabulary above that of the fifth grade. I challenge you to learn.

I will accept your apology when you have sat across the desk of a neurologist, therapist, pediatrician or educator and been told that your child is developmentally delayed, cognitively impaired, or mentally retarded.

I will accept your apology when you have changed an adult diaper, spoon fed a fifteen-year-old, or spent $40,000 of your own money on this therapy or that teaching technique just to hear your child say his or her own name.

I will accept your apology when you've seen the look on the faces of your children, the sudden wetness in their eyes, the blush on their cheeks, when they hear someone using that word, knowing that it refers (even if unintentionally) to their sister whom they love and adore.

I will accept your apology when you've spent sleepless nights cataloging every moment of your life trying to find out where you went so wrong to have irreparably damaged your own child and praying for the strength to move on.

I will accept your apology when you've looked into the eyes of the purest of souls and caught a glimpse of yourself, however small or fleeting, and realized that they are not here to learn but instead are here to teach.

I will accept your apology when you come to my home and meet my exceptionally beautiful daughter who may never go to college or have a child of her own, but who will undoubtedly capture your heart. And I guarantee you that you will never use that word in that way again.

Sincerely,
Fiauna Lund

Comments

Kristina P. said…
Excellent, excellent post.

I work in a mental health facility, and we have had an intern who not only lacks a filter, but is just ignorant. She actually used that word at work. She also said, "That's so gay."

My supervisor had a looonng chat with her about her language.
Susan Anderson said…
I thought of you when I heard about what Rahm et al had said, and I wish every one of them could read this post.

The way you have expressed yourself and gotten to the crux of this issue is nothing short of superb, Fiauna, and I think you should send this to the Washington Post and Wall Street Journal Letters to the Editor sections. Others need to see and read what you've written.

As for me, with your permission, I will be linking to you in tomorrow's post.

Thanks.
I read that lastnight on Yahoo and almost posted it on my blog Fiauna!!!! I love the way you summed it up---PERFECT!

Rachel
Unknown said…
this is a beautiful post. i have had many people in my life who have touched me just like this..
you express yourself like no other.
Kathy P said…
You know, Fiauna, because of knowing you, I have gained a new appreciation for these perfect spirits... I never used that word before, but now I cringe when I hear people use it. I find myself telling them about my blooging friend who has this beautiful girl...

I agree with Sue, you really should send this in. More people need to see things this way.
And don't even get me started on how messed up it is that someone in his position says that and then has to be FORCED to apologize...

I think I would like to link to this post as well...
Erin said…
Yes, yes, and yes. That was a beautiful post, Fiauna.
jen said…
Thanks for a reminder. It's one of those words that is "in style," for lack of a better term. When I was young, it was "That's so gay."
Now, when I hear my kids say retarded or adults say it, or it used over the pulpit in sacrament meeting, I cringe. But I don't know what to do about it. Thanks for a good way to teach my kids. I'll be referring to your post.
Byron said…
Beautiful. I admire you so much.
Sarah said…
YES!!!!! Do you mind if I copy this post onto my own, I will be sure to give you the credit.
Just SO said…
I remember using that term in High School one time and had a guy look at me and tell me in all sincerity that he had a brother who had Downs Syndrome. I felt horrid and I tried never to use that word again.
lavendergrl said…
Brilliant, Fiauna. I'm in tears.