Becoming

I walked past the refrigerator at my mother-in-law's house on Sunday, Mother's Day. She had a piece of paper held to the door by two whimsical magnets. On the paper was this quote by Dallin H. Oaks: ". . . The Final Judgment is not just an evaluation of a sum total of good and evil acts--what we have done. It is an acknowledgment of the final effect of our acts and thoughts--what we have become."

I swallowed a lump in my throat, startled by the reaction I felt in my gut and in my heart. You see, I still blame myself (like most mothers I know) . . . for everything, especially my daughter's disability. Sure, I tell myself, as others do, that it's not my fault--no one's fault, really. But every time some one wonders out loud or begs the question why is she like this? Why doesn't her brain work properly? What happened to her to damage her so? I always end up searching inward for some culpability. I drank too much Diet Coke while I was pregnant. I took over-the-counter vitamins and supplements instead of the prescription pre-natal vitamins. I flew for 13 hours on an airplane early, early on. I mowed the lawn the day before her birth. I sprayed herbicide on the lawn. I died my hair. I lived too close to the freeway and all its noxious fumes. I took terbutaline to stop some minor contractions during the last trimester. . . The list goes on.

Some of these things I could have changed, other's not so much. A few I'd been warned about, but most seemed harmless. But every day I have to wonder. . .

And then I read the quote. And then I looked at my beautiful daughter. She has changed me, calmed and refined me, and for that I am glad. She is, as all children are, pure heavenly magic (yes, even during those late nights when she doesn't want to sleep), with soft, rosy cheeks and unconditional love. She's the one who helps me see what I can become, where I've been, and how far I still have to go. I've messed up--we all have--and I will continue to acknowledge my mistakes. I will keep trying to do better and live up to my potential and the beautiful calling I've been given in this life--to be a mother. I will take this chance and become something better, something divine and worthy. I have to; it's imperative.

Comments

Kristina P. said…
I think we are definitely our own worst critics. I am glad this quote left you with peace.
Susan Anderson said…
That's a great quote. And I absolutely believe it's true.

=)
The Lunds said…
So true and such a beautiful post. What a great quote. I too, live in guilt most days. I feel I should have read more, prepared a healthier meal, less this, more of that, etc. I think some of us just have a personality more prone to that. You are so patient and loving with Keeley. You can't change or blame yourself for anything in the past but make the best of the present. She really is a sweet little spirit and I have no doubt in my mind that it takes a special mom to care for these kids. You are an amazing mother!
Wendyburd1 said…
I LOVE this post!!
Em said…
did i let brennan watch too much tv? did we not do enough tummy time? did i not emulate perfection in my example? and the list goes on. why is it that i do this?

i don't "get it" like you, but i get it. and would do the same thing. you're beautiful. and think it's just at the forefront now b/c she's still young, but in 20 years maybe the guilt won't be there anyore b/c you'll be even more glad it worked out the way it did.
Erin said…
Yesterday I fell and hit my head, my shoulder, my hip and my knee. I am really sore today. And, of course, I worried about the baby (I'm 37 weeks tomorrow). Then I thought about this post (that I read but didn't have time to comment), and I just wanted to let you know I appreciate this post!

P.S. The baby seems fine. :)
You can't be at fault because I as your mother is at fault with all the hardships you have had. I feel guilty all the time for all the things I failed with you. I love you so much that I would do anything to make your life easier, if I could. You have done nothing wrong, you have been given a gift. A gift from God, of God, Himself.
R. K. Allen said…
Your thoughts sound like something I went through when I saw Benjy for the first time after his surgery (see my post). I know how difficult and confusing it can be to watch a child go through his or her own challenges. You always look to yourself for a reason t's happening. Anyway, I really liked this post.
That is a great quote. I do believe that Keelie has changed you for ways that you can be proud of. I know with Carson, (even in all the heart wrenching tough moments) I feel privileged to be the mother who wheels him into class each morning. We are strong women my friend!!!!!!!!

Rachel
Whatever would we do without our Keelie! :)
Byron said…
that was beautifully put. thank you. you are amazing!
Em said…
i need to be taking classes to keep my teaching certificate up. i've put it off for the last 5 years and now i have to be registered by sept. sigh.