In a Crisis

Don't think I'm heartless if I smile and dance and sing while my brother fights the war of his life, sedated and on a ventilater in a Salt Lake hospital room. Don't think I'm cold as ice if I throw a Derby party and watch the ponies race while my family gathers in prayer, pleading for the strength to manage this crisis. I do it for the kids; wouldn't want them to worry, to see how my heart is breaking for their father and uncle.

Just a year and a half ago I got a call from my niece saying something like "My mom's on the floor and the ambulance came." At that time, Benjy and I ran to the hospital to be with our sister and her little family after she suffered a terrible stroke. I didn't cry then, either. I packed a bag of books and treats for my niece and tried to act thrilled to be visiting the hospital waiting room.

Thursday, when the phone rang, it was my other niece saying something like "My dad's on the floor and the ambulance came." I hurried to Benjy's house--passing the ambulance on the way--to be with my nieces again. And now, even though I want to cry, I hold back the tears, the worried expressions, repressing the questions I want to ask so my dear nieces (my own children, too) won't be worried. Instead I'll bake them cookies, play video games with them, and watch movies until my mind is numb and they are once again acting like healthy, happy children: carefree.

Now Mindy is on the way so we can go be with our brother, cheering him on in his sedated battle with a crippling pneumonia. I'll continue to choke back my fears and worries that my brother may not pull through this. I'll let it all out when the crisis has passed.

Comments

Unknown said…
I will add your Family to my prayers.
and When I add FIAUNAS FAMILY to the temple prayer roll there will be no question in anyones mind who we are praying for.
Susan Anderson said…
I'll be praying for your brother....and for you and the rest of your family, too.

=)
Erin said…
Sigh. What a difficult time for you and your family. I pray Benjy makes it through.
Tracy Loewer said…
I'm sorry, Fiauna. Hang in there. Sending thoughts and prayers your way. I hope there's a good outcome.
Love and hugs.
Tracy
We will continue to pray for all of you! You are a great Aunt, sister and Mom! We pray that the worst is over and he can start to make a speedy recovery.
Em said…
best thoughts your way:-)
Snarky Belle said…
I am sorry. Your brother, and entire family will be in my thoughts and prayers. You are brave and strong.
Kristina P. said…
Oh my goodness, Fiauna. I am so sorry. Your family is in my prayers.
I am so sorry. Healing thoughts, prayers and tons of hugs coming your way. Stay strong :)
Megan Smith said…
May angels be near you to bear you up at this difficult time.

Hoping and praying that your brother can recover from this.

Love and hugs.
steve and lisa said…
So much fun seeing you guys a couple of weekends ago. Thanks for taking the time to drive up to ID to hang out. Then driving to St george the next day! I hope your brother is doing okay!?! I have been following your updates on facebook. We'll keep you all in our prayers! Love you guys!
Wendyburd1 said…
I know how tough it must be for YOU to be so brave for them, but I have to tell you Fiauna, you are the best kind of person when there is tragedy or scary things happening. Someone to lean on, and though it is hard to be you, you are someone that people can rely on and that is a gift to them. So you are a gift!
Emmy said…
Oh my goodness, I am so so sorry. I will keep your brother and his family and you in my prayers. What a wonderful blessing it is for the kids to have someone that can be as strong as you in this moment.
Just SO said…
Fiauna I am so sorry you and your family are facing this difficult time. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your brother. Praying that he pulls through.