Life Lessons

Things I've learned in the last two weeks:

Your best days can quickly become your worst nightmare.
Sometimes strength is overrated and tears are the order of the day.
Sometimes tears make matters worse.
Children are amazingly resilient.
Children need and deserve a mother and a father.
In times of test, the family is best.
We need prayers even when we've passed through this life.
Honesty, complete and total, is the best policy.
Secrets grow darker when they are buried and hidden.
Never, NEVER fail to let your loved ones know exactly how you feel.
God's love and atonement are infinite and never-ending.

My brother's passing has left a wake of grief, tears, and a horde of terribly mixed emotions. But it has also brought to light so much love. Unbelievable strength and love. He was a man of great testimony and faith, and that is what I will miss. That is what I will take from his life. I miss him terribly; he was a part of my daily life and was truly one of my best friends.

Through it all this one refrain from the hymn "Be Still, My Soul" has run through my mind, even waking me from my much-needed sleep at times:
When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
Be Still, my soul:
When change and tears are past,
All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

Comments

The Lunds said…
I needed to read that tonight. Thanks. I am sorry for the loss of your brother. Life is hard. That is all I have to say. I know how it feels to be in a trial that seems never-ending.
Emmy said…
I am so sorry. Children really are so strong huh?
Susan Anderson said…
So sad to hear about our brother, Fiauna. I can only imagine how you will miss him.

Sending hugs and prayers to you and your family.

=)

PS. Those are my favorite lines of "Be Still, My Soul," which is the song I intend to have sung at my funeral. That one pretty much says it all.
R. K. Allen said…
Thank you, Fiauna, for being you. I love you.
Erin said…
I'm so sorry for your loss, Fiauna. I wish I knew what else to say. I feel for you and your family. Take care of yourself and your loved ones.