The Race is About the Trying, Right?

Last week we attended the Pinewood Derby with Brighton and his scout friends. (Notice the lack of a scout shirt. Remember this post? Yep. I washed the shirt and the patches fell off, again.)No, Brighton's car didn't win. But he sure did try, placing second in two out of three races. And, after all, the race is about the trying, not the winning.

"Success means doing the best we can with what we have. Success is the doing, not the getting -- in the trying, not the triumph. Success is a personal standard -- reaching for the highest that is in us -- becoming all that we can be. If we do our best, we are a success. Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have."

Zig Ziglar (1926 - )


He walked away with his complimentary trophy and a smile on his face.

Comments

Kristina P. said…
I'm sure he had a great time anyway!
Susan Anderson said…
My kids always loved the Pinewood Derby, win or lose!

=)
Erin said…
That is a cool looking car! We'll be doing the Pinewood Derby soon enough at our house. Fun for Brighton!
Emmy said…
Glad he was happy, when I started reading your post I thought that it was maybe going to turn and have a bad ending.
Our ward had a family derby once, i.e each family makes a car with no rules (no weight limits, etc), it was a ton of fun and there were some crazy cars.
Cool car Brighton! Sorry about your shirt. :)
Wendyburd1 said…
Nice car! I remember having to go to church to watch the scouts including my brother, do those races.
Kathy P said…
I am just glad when the car makes it down the tracks!

Gotta love it!
Just SO said…
Love the car! I hope he had fun.