A Room of Her Own

I bet you can't tell what this picture is of:
To be completely honest with you, I couldn't either. You see, my daughter Paige snapped this picture with my camera while I wasn't looking. She giggled when I downloaded it to my computer.

"It's my secret spot, Mom," she finally explained.

And if you look you'll see her notebook there in the picture, along with her pen.

In the her essay "A Room of One's Own," Virginia Woolf put forth her message that a woman needs two things in order to have the freedom to create: a fixed income, and a room of her own.

Paige has the fixed income--for now Mom's and Dad's income will suffice. Now she has found a room of her own. She climbs on top of the fridge with her notebook and pen and writes, spinning stories for hours.

She has found a bit of creative freedom. I hope she continues working on her talent, her passion. I guess it is how they say: like mother, like daughter.

Comments

Kristina P. said…
Glad she found a creative spot!
Erin said…
I think that is really neat that she found her own special spot.

And as for the location of her spot, I say: Is the top of your fridge REALLY that clean?? Please, please don't look at the top of my fridge.
Wow! On top of the fridge? Let the creativity fly!
Emmy said…
Lol! No way, I thought it was just a view of the counter at first. I just hope she is super careful, kind of scary way up there.
Em said…
i just found out this week that my cousin climbs into a tree in the backyward with her girlfriend so they can talk about "stuff." which is why we are not allowed to fix the whole in the fence so the dog doesn't get out. "that's how we get to our secret spot." oh how lovely to be 9.
Rebecca Talley said…
On top of the fridge? That's creative. I'm glad she's found a place of her own. Maybe if the top of my fridge were clean my kids could do that. Oh well.
Anonymous said…
i wish my fridge were that clean on top!!! I am glad she writes and has a place of her "own"
Paige is so cute! How creative to pick the top of the fridge. :)
Susan Anderson said…
I am completely impressed by how clean and unencumbered the top of your fridge is! Mine has a recipe book, wrapping paper, and two napkin holders full of even more recipes on top of it.
Anonymous said…
aww! that is really pretty sweet :) i hope she is careful up there!!! i used to have a Special Spot for writing stories and letters to myself :)
LaurieJ said…
Sweet! A new iea of where to hide from my kids :-)
Wendyburd1 said…
That is AWESOME!! What a cool secret spot! I thought it was a countertop and was like...is there a spot between the counter and stove? Thank goodness she is much more creative than that!
Our fridge top is crammed with chip bags and just junk, lol!
Kathy P said…
Ummm, the top of my fridge is more of a danger zone... and not because of heights.

I love that she has her spot on the fridge. So cute!
susette said…
I love special spots. Even as an adult I appreciate having my own special spots.

Just thought I would stop by and say hi and become a follower. I've seen your cute face out there in bloggy land :)
Just SO said…
Really? On top of the fridge? I wish the top of my fridge looked like that! And that is one creative spot for one creative girl.
steve and lisa said…
Hi! Hey I heard of a great site. lulu.com
You can publish your book "Sprightling Diaries" & sell it. I am sure there will be lots of people that will buy it after reading it online! I know I will! Anyway, check it out. Lisa
Candy McCall said…
Cute little girl.
I think that's a great spot! I wonder how she came up with that idea.
R. K. Allen said…
Nice to know we have a new writer in the fsmily. Eight years old and already writing stories? I'm impressed... see you soon.